Hard Swaged lead on rifling?

FrankenMauser

They shouldn't hurt any .22 rifle of even mediocre quality - especially centerfires.

You may, however, want to use some type of wax-based lubricant to avoid leading.

They're not recommended for air guns for, I assume, two reasons:
1. They're too hard and may get jammed in the throat/chamber of air guns.
2. They note that diameter is somewhat variable. Again, oversized shot may cause a jam in an airgun; or, alternatively, undersized shot may cause extremely poor performance.

chris in va

I believe airgun pellets need to be softer so the skirt can seal the bore better. There's not a lot of PSI available as with firearms.

Jimro

If your air rifle can push them out the bore, you should be fine.

Air rifle pellets are made of soft lead so that the skirt will expand to engage the rifling while the head acts like a "bore rider" for best accuracy. The round balls are essentially "BBs" and as long as they an go down your bore they should be fine even if there is some gas bypass.

If they stick in your bore, that's not so good. I would try pushing one through your bore with a brass cleaning rod first to see if there is a lot of resistance.

Jimro

Jim243

Specifications: Industry tolerances apply; expect slight variances in shot counts and diameters due to production differences.

If you knew how "Buck Shot" was made you would not ask these types of questions.

Jim

F. Guffey

If you knew how "Buck Shot" was made you would not ask these types of questions.

And then there is that quote from R. Lee (I think), "If it has lead in it can be shot", then it had something to do with things added to lead that causes bad bullets, that information was covered with swaging, if it can not be melted and poured because it is ugly, swage it.

F. Guffey

243winxb

Peters air rifle shot

The diameter may be more of a problem. No harm in trying. Just make sure barrel is clear before the next shot.
th_BB%20001%20A_zpsq2kjr0wf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
th_BB%20004%20B_zpsf4c4lzdc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] Can't open it today for photos , its stuck, but i know its lead.

Vt.birdhunter

I was looking for cheap ammo for a full auto .22 pellet rifle. Significant variations in diameter could be BAD if it jammed one in the barrel in full auto.
Not going to take the chance