hard lead

flyboyjake

after reviewing many posts by you guys, im in the market for some lead pills in .40 cal. Looking for 180-200gr and would like somewhere in the realm of 30 brinell. Any ideas on where to find some? I dont melt my own.

AlaskaMike

BHN 30 is much harder than you need, and in fact could easily be too hard. I have yet to see a commercially cast bullet that wasn't hard enough to work well in a semi-auto handgun. Don't fall for the idea that bullet hardness equals bullet quality.

Lasercast is probably the most popular here in Alaska. For mail order, I've heard good things about Cast Performance, Penn Bullets, and Leadhead. I know there are several more good ones out there that I'm missing, but I haven't bought cast bullets in quite a while since I began casting my own. Hopefully someone else can give some other good options.

Mike

flyboyjake

im looking for the least bullet deformation I can get. That is why I want it hard, but not brittle.

as for the link, if I apply that formula to my 10mm at max load, I come up with about 30 bhn for optimal hardness. But bore leading is an after thought for my purpose.

Last edited:

zippy13

It seems you want jacketed bullet performance at cast bullet prices -- don't we all? I suspect the closest thing you'll find in a cast bullet will be something with a gas check.

flyboyjake

sorry, that was an edit. .40 is what im looking for.

Ok, ive found them, but $170 is a bit steep...

Last edited:

Shoney

You can get 1000 target quality Complete Metal Jacket .40 cal 200gr delivered to your door for $144.00. --180's for $132.00.

Last edited:

j2flan

your welcome, and, +1 on what OZZIEMAN said
can`t say what the BHN is but I shot his 180gr at about 900fps from my 229 and they were clean and accurate, very nice bullets.

Stick_man

A properly fitting cast bullet with a BHN of around 18 can be driven to near 3000 fps with virtually no leading of the barrel. Anything above that would be generally considered gross overkill in bullets. I think if you were to water drop linotype you would probably hit around 30, but even linotype is pretty brittle. Definitely not something I would consider using for a hunting bullet.

Unless you are planning on reloading those bullets without remelting and/or resizing them, why wouldn't you want any deformation?

If you absolutely want no deformation without brittle bullets, you might look into casting some bullets out of Zinc or using a lathe to form some out of some bar steel or something. I would think they would both be death on rifling though.