Hard Chrome?? Good? bad?

Bigjim3

I have a few friends that have had their guns hard chromed. It was to stop one of their guns from rusting. (duty gun) Can anyone tell me whats the good and bad about this? Thanks

Microgunner

It's all good unless improperly done. I had a Ruger Super Blackhawk "woods gun" hard chromed about 30 years ago and too much chrome was applied causing the parts to fit poorly when reassembled. This "smith" also rounded most of the edges when he prepped the pieces (don't know why he buffed them after disassembly) making all the seams stand out like a sore thumb. I was not happy and this "smith" would do nothing about it except demand payment if I wanted my revolver back.

rjrivero

Hard Chrome

Is a prettty good finish. I like it a lot on this piece.

picture.php

Dfariswheel

The good:

Its still the best all around gun finish.

Its HARD. Actually harder than a Swiss needle file. This hardness increases the service life of the gun and makes it far more resistant to scratches. Most scratches don't penetrate the surface and are only a bright streak where the scratch polished the finish.

Its so thin (usually around 0.0002") so it doesn't interfere with even tightly fitted guns.

The hardness actually improves the trigger pull and smoothness of the action.

It requires less lubication.

Its proof against all solvents and even acids. Most chemicals won't touch it, and those that do are nothing you'll find around most homes.

Its very rust resistant.

Its "slick" so dirt and carbon won't stick to it and its much easier to clean.

Its one of the very few gun finishes that's considered to be a true life-time finish.

Its available in appearance from the original satin pearl-gray, to a brushed stainless steel look, to a mirror polish.

Some platers will even plate the inside of chambers and bores.

The bad:
Its a "white" finish and some people prefer black guns.

Once done, you can't modify or gunsmith the gun without breaking through the finish.

You have to take care about who does the plating. The best companies are people like APW/Cogan, Metaloy, Armaloy, and Ford's.

drail

It is highly resistant to corrosion. But most of our customers who requested it wanted it for wear resistance. If kept clean and oiled it will minimze wear extremely well. It's harder than a file and very slick when applied to the frame/slide. Ooops, Dfariswheel is faster than me. I will wholeheartedly recommend APW/Cogan's work.

mouse07410

Mag-na-Port will also plate the gun for you - costs extra of course. They do hard chrome.

I like this finish (though ideally I'd want blued look with hard chrome properties :)).