Happy with my gen 4 glock 17.

dlb0412

Ive shot 790 trouble free rounds so far. I have shot 250 rounds of remington umc 115 grain. 400 rounds of winchester 115 grain fmj. 100 rounds of federal champion 115 grain fmj. 40 rounds of speer gold dot 124 grain +p. After reading all the bad stuff on the internet about the gen 4 9mms i was nervous buying it. But after owning over 5 gen 3 glocks without any problems i figured i would take the chance. Im happy i did i love it. At first the recoil spring was stiff and i felt alot of friction when hand racking it. So i did it over and over a few hundred times before shooting it. My 1st range trip i was shooting remington umc fmjs. It was ejecting weak and in consistient most of the brass was hitting me in the shoulder. I only shot 50 rounds that day. I went home and while watching tv i hand racked the slide 700 more times. The next range trip it shot alot better the brass ejected like it should to my right a few feet away. It is broke in now and shooting great. I thought i would share that with anyone that cares:)

LockedBreech

Thanks for the post. With any brand and the G4s in particular, it's helpful to remember that for every complaint there are a thousand satisfied buyers.

Knock on wood but it seems with the new RSA / Extractor Glock has solved the G4 problem.

5RWill

I had a piece of brass hit me in the face today running my 21 gen 4. It was only one though, could've been that i was breaking my wrist also though.

IMightBeWrong

Could be. My 26 was tossing it at my face constantly so I had the new ejector put in. Haven't tried it yet, but I think it's going to make a big difference. It's a bit more beefed up than the older one.

dlb0412

In my opinion if your geting hit with brass the recoil spring is to heavy. Im no expert but i have several glocks and ive played around with aftermarket springs and guide rods with my gen 3s. If you have too stiff of spring and use weak ammo then it ejects weak and sometimes strait back. If anyone has a new gen 4 with ejection problems i would recomend hand racking the slide 700 times. It sounds crazy but it works for most people. Some new gen 4 glocks need the recoil spring to be broken if you shoot low powered ammo.

Mrgunsngear

Mine, born 11/11, has been flawless and never had any ejection issues. My Gen4 19 (born 2010) did, but it's GTG now.

DSC01273.jpg

mrvco

I'm itching for a Gen4 19, but the closest thing my LGS had in stock last week was a Gen4 17... that felt pretty good in my hand as well. I guess it was just the grip size that did it, but the Gen4 17 felt more manageable in my hand the pre-Gen4 17's that I've shot in the past. It was tempting, but I don't "need" another full-size 9MM.

IMightBeWrong

dlb0412,

My 26 came with the standard Glock factory spring set that's come with it since the first Gen 3 Glock 26 came out. The Gen 4 update didn't do anything to the springs in them, so it shouldn't have been the culprit. Glock released the new ejectors particularly for the brass to the face issues because after changing their machining process for their ejectors they were flexing in use instead of remaining stiff.

Not saying that the recoil spring stiffness can't throw off your ejection pattern, I wouldn't know, but the ejector is what Glock Inc tweaked to fix the issue and a lot of Glock owners have reported success with the new ejectors.

Crow Hunter

I had a piece of brass hit me in the face today running my 21 gen 4. It was only one though, could've been that i was breaking my wrist also though.

I have had an occassional brass to the forehead experiences with practically every semiauto gun out there.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets to the point that it does it with types of ammo that it didn't do it before and it starts doing it enough that you start to develop a flinch from dodging cases.

I had that happen on an old Gen 3 19 I used to have. It also shot 4 inches to the left at 10 yards.:mad:

I sold it to a friend at a loss who wanted to prove me wrong about it being a lemon. Come to think of it, I haven't heard from him in a couple of years. I must have been right....:rolleyes: