Happy Birthday 686

Nick_C_S

Feeling nostalgic today. I'm good with dates so it wasn't so odd that this was one of the first things I thought of waking up this morning . . .

30 years ago today, on 6/6/86 I acquired (15 day waiting period in California back then) my 686 (no dash) 4" bbl (new). I was a long barrel guy back then, so going with a 4" was something of a novelty for me at the time. All that quickly changed after shooting this beauty though. It quickly became my mainstay range shooter. Fast forward 30 years, and I have a lot of guns now. But this - this - gun may well be my "desert island" gun. If I had to forsake every gun I own except one, this would probably be the one that stays behind with me.

So it's a 686 that I got on 6/6/86 - I always thought that was kind of neat (I didn't plan it that way).

The pic is from today (as if you don't know what a 686 looks like :p). And it remains completely out-of-the-box stock (except the grips, obviously). I'd take it out and ceremoniously shoot it if my range wasn't closed today. I don't shoot it so much these days. It's certainly not a safe queen - oh no - but my M67 38 Spl & 686+ 3"bbl get more time at the range these days. If nothing else, it is my primary 357 for chronographing. I feel the 4" bbl is something of a "baseline" bbl length for chrono data.

686_2016-06-06_zps7xzuehpn.jpg

MrBorland

Heh...well this is as good a reason as any to wish you a Happy Anniversary & many more happy years together! :D

smee78

I also have a 686 no dash and it is a pleasure to shoot. Congrats on a long lasting relationship.

Model12Win

Excellent guns. The .357 "mangle 'em" was considered the number-one one-shot manstopper of the 80's. It's knock-down factor is extremely high for a handgun.

Westy39

I may be a bit out of line but I believe the model 686 IS the best revolver ever made. I just enjoy shooting mine. Excellent purchase, as my dad use to say " Take care of your gun and it will take care of you."

PolarFBear

I have a "safe full" of firearms. If I had to choose only ONE, it would be my 686. Maybe not the best, surely not the biggest, but certainly the BEST all round gun there is. Powerful, handy to carry, easy to maintain. S&W got it "RIGHT".

alexcue

That was my first gun i bought! A 686 2.5" then a 6" Still love to bring it out and use it. Never a safe queen(s).:D

gb_in_ga

I have a 4" 686 no-dash. Yeah, it'd be the "desert island" handgun, alongside of my Marlin 336. FWIW, mine still has the stock tiger wood grips.