Hands down best .40 HP

cannonfire

I was just curious if there was a hands down best .40 HP factory round out there or is it all strictly by prefrence. I know some of you guys probably reload your rounds with enough powder to launch a 155mm round, but I'm talking about strickly out of the box ammo.

I use Hydrashox in my .40... heard it was pretty good stuff... any opinions?

jgcoastie

It's all pretty subjective. Whatever feeds reliably in your weapon, you shoot accurately out of your weapon, and has been tested and vetted enough to satisfy your penetration/expansion performance requirements...

Personally, I like DoubleTap and Speer. I try to buy them whenever they are available, which is actually pretty rarely on this island...

I have used Federal Hydrashok's in my G22 with good results before I sold the gun...

Last edited:

Southpaw555

Federal Hydrashoks are fantastic ammunition. I use the .40 in my HK and the +P .45 in my Baer. I'd use them in all my guns if I could find the ammo.

I have also been using the extreme shock frangibles in my revolvers lately for .38 and .357. I haven't fired too many test rounds as both time and money have been limited but they seem to be very powerful and I like what I've been hearing about them.

They aren't hollowpoints but they ARE personal defense rounds so meh, I figured I'd mention them.

Speer gold dots are fantastic too.

It comes down to a question of personal preference, availability, and what your particular gun likes.

Blue Steel

Kinda like which is better, Coke or Pepsi? The answer is Coke, by the way.

I would be fine with Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger SXT, Corbon DPX, Federal Hydro-shok. My personal choices is Gold Dot or Hydro Shok. I'm sure Hornady TAP and Remington Golden Sabre and such are good as well. I think any quality manufacturer in a personal defense ammunition would be fine.

I prefer heavy bullet weights, and would stay away from safety rounds like Glaser and MagSafe.

Last edited:

MosinM38

Nope: Pepesi all the way!! :p

As for 155 grain Hollowpoints. Ask 100 people, get 20 differant answers. Only 20 because there will be multiple XTP, Gold Dot,etc. lovers.

As for me: Fiocchi 155 XTPs. I like them because they're almost identical the the Hornady loads, they're accurate, low muzzle flash, and come in 50 round boxes.

If FIocchi suddenly ceased to exist: I would reluctantly switch to Hornady XTPs.

That said, I wouldn't feel badly with Winchester Rangers, Gold Dots, Hydra-shocks,etc. Hauge, even WWB HP's are okay. Better than FMJ.

Rampant_Colt

it's not like Coke -vs- Pepsi..

You may find your answer here: http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

There's good ammo and bad ammo, no one "best".
I suggest reading the above link and re-evaluating your ammo by not letting personal feelings dictate your ammo choices

ps - Hydra-Shok is outdated ammunition with a reputation for clogging with clothing debris and not expanding. Better choices are now available

tjmorris58

Right now I'm using Remington Golden Saber for my .40 S&W. I like the reduced recoil, low muzzle flash powder, sealed primers and their reliability in my HK.

1goodshot

So many good bullets out there its hard to pick a bad one, I like Gold Dots. If I were to reload defensive ammo it would be down loaded to 950fps with a 165gr Gold Dot becouse it shoots the best out of my Glock and its really controlable.

mete

Anything except 'Reduced Recoil' ammo. Best performer is supposed to be Corbon DPX .Other than that I like 155 gr bullets .Whatever you pick make sure it's 100 % reliable in your gun.

Cheapshooter

A lot of talk about the Winchester Supreme Elite PDX1 180 grn. being chosen by the FBI. The FBI has given Winchester a large contract for ammunition for service issue and training. So, is it really the "best", or is it what they got the best deal on?
It does look like it should be a very good defensive round though.

cannonfire

Agreed but you also have to think of this.... the military and lea don't always have the best equipment but the get what is best for the money... it alwayss goes to the lowest bidder

Super Trucker

Winchester Ranger T 180gr work fine in my guns. I really don't think a bad guy will care if I hit him with Win, Speer, Federal etc.

The one that goes bang everytime is my favorite.

CWPinSC

the military and lea don't always have the best equipment but the get what is best for the money... it alwayss goes to the lowest bidder

Very true. Also, their use is much different than ours, so they have different requirements.

For example, the Federal Air Marshal's Service has granted a contract to Sig to deliver X number of P250 pistols in .357 SIG. Is that a good gun and a good round? Yes. Does that make the P250 or .357 SIG round the best for us for SD? No.

voyager4520

It's preference. My preference in no particular order would be:
Federal HST 180gr
Ranger T 165gr
Gold Dot 165gr(the hotter loading, there are two)
Bonded Ranger T 180gr
Hornady TAP FPD 180gr

Most of those I wouldn't see enough of a difference between 165 and 180 to care too much about it. The only two 155gr loadings I like are Hornady TAP or Custom, and Federal Hydrashock. I'd still like to try some Hornady Critical Defense 165gr, and I'd like to know some real life chronograph results with it.