Handloads For 7.62 x 39mm

res45

I spent about a day working on a load for my YUGO SKS. Using Winchester cases,trimmed to length with the Lee case length guage & cutter, CCI #34 Mil-Spec primers, AA1680 powder and the Hornady 123Gr. SP seated & crimped right on the cannalure. There is nothing special about this load,It just simply shoots. I think most SKS's in good working order and a good bore would do this with the correct load. The Mil-Surplus ammo just doesn't bring out the best in these rifles.

Components Used
I bought my supplies from these suppliers mainly the powder & primers because my local shop doesn't carry Accurate powders, but you may be able to purchase them at your local reloading supplier and save yourself the $20 Hazmat fees

Test Targets
GoldenTiger.jpg

BrownBear.jpg

MyReload.jpg

Dies Lee Pacesetter 3 die set w/factory crimp die. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=740806&t=11082005

Brass Winchester
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=449419&t=11082005

Primers CCI #34 Mil Spec 7.62 mm bought in 1K lots
http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/index.html

Powder Accurate 1680
http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/index.html

Bullet Hornady 123 Gr. SP
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=347013&t=11082005

Small diameter front sight post click on the accessories tab on the left side of web page.
http://www.tech-sights.com/

UPDATED TODAY Sept. 8 2007
test0062.jpg

Ok got out this morning and did a little testing with my 150 Gr. SP loads. I feel like this load will shoot allot better I'm using iron sights and my eye sight of late isn't what it used to be definitely need a new pair of glasses for my shooting to improve . My sights are set 1" high at 50 Yds. The load functioned perfectly ejecting the spend brass about 15 ft. from my table. I had one slight flyer on each group or they would have been a bit tighter,but I'm happy with the results for a short range heavy bullet load. Max load in the LEE manual is 24.8 Gr. of Reloader #7 My load was 24.0 Grs. even. I saw no pressure signs on the primer with either combination used,according to the load data the MV is a little over 2100 fps. I used the load data from the newest LEE reloading manual. The rounds seem to equal the feel of Golden Tiger they definitely have a little punch to them. These 150 Gr. SP loads are my first test runs I still have a little tweaking to do yet.

Prvi Partizan 150 Gr. .311 BT SP
scan1-3.jpg

Speer 150 Gr. .311 FB SP The black squares are 1/2"
scan1-2.jpg

It's was allot harder to put that post together than it was to do the reloading and testing,if there is any other info I can pass along or something I have left out that might be of help I haven't thought about, please post a question. I have linked to two PDF files with the ballistics date I printed out for the Hornady 123 Gr. & Speer 150 Gr. SP loads.

123 Gr. SP
http://www.mediafire.com/?aaj02juxzth

150 Gr. SP
http://www.mediafire.com/?4jjevuoyyc3

I use the TechSight front post on my YUGO only. The rear sight on my YUGO works just fine with the smaller dia. pin its about 1/2 the size of the original factory pin. You will need to spread the bottom of the new pin slightly so you get a good tight fit I also put a drop of blue thread locker on mine.

The rounds are crimped but its hard to tell from the pic I used the LEE factory crimp die that came with my die set. The .310 dia 123 Gr.bullet crimp shows up more because of the cannelure, however the .311 dia 150 Gr. Speer bullet does not have a cannelure and is crimped on the same setting but has the extra 0.001 to help hold it in place. The LEE factory crimp die will not crush the case like the regular roll crimp will if you apply to much crimp, it just compresses the neck at the point of contact and makes it own cannelure on bullets that do not have one.

Last edited:

joneb

Thanks for that info, your AA 1680 load is very impressive, have you tried that powder with the 150gr yet? I plan on reloading for my SKS one of these days, along with the 9x18 Mak.

crowbeaner

Nice work, and good starting groups. I used H335 with 123 gr. Speer .311 bullet, and we could cosistently hit the .22 spinners at 50 and the 4 inch spinner at 100. IIRC we used 29.5 gr. because the max. charge wouldn't fit in the WW case. 2100 fps with the 150 gr. is right up with the 30/30, and that caliber has killed a LOT of deer. Hope this helps. Enjoy. CB.

res45

I haven't tried the AA1680 in the 150 Gr. load as of yet,I'm going to load up a few test rounds next week when I'm off work. One reason why I used RL-7 with the 150 Gr. is it's readily available here the AA1680 isn't plus I can get about 150 fps. more muzzle velocity out of the RL-7 powder and not compress the load. I'm also going to work up a load using the 123 Gr. Hornady SP using the RL-7 also there is only about 30 fps. difference in MAX velocity between the two powders, but accuracy will determine which powder I use for either load.

MDman

I have always wonderd what kind of accuracy could be achieved with hand loads in an SKS, Wonderfull test:)

Gewehr98

Not to steal anything from the excellent photos and info given in this thread...

But I just wanted to point out the difference in precision between the handloads and surplus ammo. It may seem obvious, but many decry the accuracy potential of the AK and SKS family of rifles, not realizing that the quality of ammo does indeed make a world of difference.

Res 45, may I link to your pictures from a sister gun forum? This is precisely the kind of data many would love to get their grubby little mitts on.

I've been handloading the 7.62x39 round for about 12 years now, and was a believer as soon as I ran these groups from my Bulgarian SLR-95 on a windy day:

26sepaktarget.jpg

res45

NP use anything from my post that you like:) Those 150 Gr. SP loads are my first test loads I still have a little tweaking to do yet.

res45

I shot the test in my back yard all my shooting fields around me were full of corn at the time and it's about an hour and a half to the closest public range. Also my eye sight has gotten worse over the past six months time for glasses upgrade:eek: I can't really see a small bullseye at 100 Yds. right now very clearly and keep a good focus point,thats about the size of it.

My 1970 YUGO
test016.jpg

test017.jpg

Last edited:

SDDL-UP

Nice post guys!

The only way the price of ammo is going to come down is if more people start reloading and stop using so much of the Wolf garbage (IMO).

I've just started to reload for my 7.62x39 and was wondering about AA 1680, it's not commonly available around here but BL-C(2) and H-335 are easy to get. Not too sure what I'll try first, but I'll be shooting 123gr. Speer soft points.

Last edited:

res45

You mean 7.62 x 39? Can you get you hands on Reloader #7 its pretty common and runs about neck in neck load data wish with the AA1680 and shoots equally as well. had to order my 1680 off the net nobody carries it around here either but since then I found Reloader # 7 is just as good.

kasTX

Choice of firearms will make a difference of course, but I've found a sweet spot in my 7.62x39 CZ carbine with the 123gr Hornady SP and H335. Remington and Winchester bullets don't shoot as accurately, and none of the bullets shoot as accurately with AA1680, even though that powder is supposed to be the cats meow in that cartridge.

I only tinkered with the 150 gr bullets a few times with mixed results, and stopped all together when I saw how well the 123gr Hornadys worked on deer. A very impressive round in my opinion.

kasTX - I haven't tryed the Hornady SP's, I have some Hornady A-max(Ithink may be V-max) I got from Graf's that are .310 dia, to try. Winchester 123 gr slugs aren't good for deer, they shoot OK but I filled my doe tag using that slug and it came apart (jacket-core seperation) killed the doe deader than frost but it was an ideal shot, I won't use it now for anything but 'yotes. I've had good luck with Speer Spitzer150 gr Sp on paper so far, I'm gonna try 'em on hog. post any secrets you come across to wring accuracy from this round. I have a Mini-30.

res45

45Marlin let me pose this question to you you said you have a Mini-30. If I'm correct the Mini-30 is bored to shoot the .308 dia. bullets where as all the Imports have .310 dia. bores. I haven't had much experience in shooting over sized jacketed bullets in rifles I'm wondering about pressure problems using a .310 dia. or .311 dia. bullet in a .308 bore and if this rifle which I'm sure it is .308 it probably will shoot allot more accurately using .308 dia. bullets. I know you have lots more choices in .308 dia. I'm just concerned more about your safety than anything else. I would call Ruger and inquire about this my Lyman reloading manual said the rifle is chambered for .308 bullets.

steve4102

res45, The Ruger Mini-30 comes in both .308 and .310 depending on date of manufacture. The older ones were .308 with a tapered throat to allow for 308, .310 and .311 dia. bullets. I am not sure of the date, but I think Ruger went to the larger bore around 1994.
The .308 bore Mini's will shoot the larger .310-.311 just fine as long as you follow the basic rule of handloading, "Start Low and Work Up".

res45

Thanks for that info Steve in all the post I have read about that rifle nobody has ever mentioned those facts before. I learn something everyday.

my M30 is the .310 bore, I haven't had any problems with it. I have some Hornady .310 dia 125 gr that show potential. I tryed some Sierra .311 125's and got just 'fair' accuracy, better than Chinese stuff but not as good as some USA made slugs. Mine seems to prefer 150 gr slugs.