Handloading Sabot slugs for rifled shotguns, also slugs and buck for smoothbore SG?

Glamdring

New to shotshell loading. Don't own a shotgun press or any shotgun loading manuals yet. I would like some suggestions.

Will be loading slugs and buckshot only (for three gun type practice).

Would also like to load sabot slugs for rifled shotgun.

Thanks.

David Wile

Hey Glam,

Based on what you said you intended to load, you obviously do not need any type of expensive progressive or high production press. For buckshot and slug loading, that is best done on a single stage press. I would recommend the MEC 600 JR press for the job. You can also use it for regular shot if you choose.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

Poodleshooter

Lee sells a foster slug mold for 12 and 20 gauge. I just picked one up. They're designed to use standard Winchester,Remington & Federal wads so you don't have to use expensive BPI wads. They also accept star crimps instead of needing roll crimps and over(slug) wads. I've no experience with the Lyman sabot style or the precast slugs for reloading.
I reload on a $35 Lee Load All II and have found it to be satisfactory for my low volume purposes. Most people who reload are less tolerant than myself, and would prefer an MEC as a good starter press.
As for buckshot, reloading regular buckshot can be cheap or expensive depending on whether you want buffering,etc. It can also be done on the simplest of machines. Actually single stages are recommended for specialty loads, so don't go out and buy a Ponsness Warren progressive. You will be stacking the buckshot individually. It is not a fast process.

Paul Fitz Jones

Sabot and buckshot molds

After 50 years of shooting and selling reloading and bulletcasting tools I am having an old timers sale and have 45 and 50 caliber 4 cavity sabot molds and buck shot molds from 320 to .451 in a total of 9 round ball izes contact me at coffeyn1@juno.com