handload vs. factory for SD, things not mentioned

whiplash

I have been reading the threads on the big debate, handloads vs. factory for self defense. I have no desire for this thread to drag on, there are plenty of those already covered, and I am sure most are tired of them. Not me, just because its a good topic to debate. But as I read those threads there a couple of things that I dont think have been covered or mentioned. I have read where people think that a prosecutor/jury think that handloads are made down in the cold dark basement, making mankiller rounds. As I was thinking, and researched, there are plenty of factory ammo with mankiller titles/names.....such as...Self Defense, Defensive Ammo, Extreme Shock, Enhanced Penetration, Personal Defense, Tactical Aplication (TAP), First Defense, Guardian, Utramax Remanufactured....(how do they look at that one, reloads or factory?:D). As you can see, even factory titles are named in a manor that one would think they only have one purpose. And it aint target or hunting. So anyone care to comment?

Also, its mentioned about gunshot residue. Just for the sake of playing the "what if" game. If a factory ammo has gsr at a max range of say 10ft (just throwing a number out there), but my handload shows gsr at a max of 15ft, (again, just a number)???:p now what?

Just some thoughts that I havent really seen covered before...feel free to comment...

Jart

Actually, some of that has come up before though Extreme Shock generally rates its own thread. It's also been noted that Black Talons dropped out to be replaced by something as effective but more PC.

Everybody will have different levels of comfort with respect to what might be paraded in front of a civil jury.

Where I'd be comfy with pinned 1911 grip safeties, disabled BHP mag disconnects, removal of Kimber type II parts and 3.5 pound triggers, I'd get a vague disquiet over, say, Bernie Goetz commemorative engraving or "Make my day" grip panels. I go smooth over the edge on the matter of Extreme Shock and won't permit any printed matter in the house concerning the product and wash my monitor after viewing the web site. I suspect this is a near-unique outlook.

Also, its mentioned about gunshot residue. Just for the sake of playing the "what if" game. If a factory ammo has gsr at a max range of say 10ft (just throwing a number out there), but my handload shows gsr at a max of 15ft, (again, just a number)??? now what?
If I'm understanding the other threads correctly, it doesn't matter one whit how your handload compares to a factory round. The difference is that the factory round can be checked against a known quantity but your handload is a wildcard and the presence or absence of GSR at any given range can not be used in your defense.

Frank Ettin

Administrator
Jart said:
If I'm understanding the other threads correctly, it doesn't matter one whit how your handload compares to a factory round. The difference is that the factory round can be checked against a known quantity but your handload is a wildcard and the presence or absence of GSR at any given range can not be used in your defense.
That is exactly the point.

As for the fanciful names some companies give their ammunition for marketing purposes, it's probably not too much of a concern if one or more local law enforcement agencies use it. If the guy walking the beat downtown has Golden Sabers in his roscoe, it makes it harder for the prosecutor to make an issue of the fact that you chose them as well.