Handle modification on ar15

fubsy

George,

Some were in the deep dark recesses of my addled mind I seem to recall that there were people who cut off the carry handle on the ar-15 for the purpose of allowing different sighting systems to be employed in front of the stock rear sight........do you have any knowledge or experience on that modification? It might be a simple solution to purchasing and replacing the upper.........thankyou for your time...fubsy.

johnwill

I looked at my Colt, and I can't imagine a clean way to hack off the handle and mount a scope. IMO, if you really want a flattop, I'd buy the stripped receiver and move your parts to it.

fubsy

Ive looked at mine a bit too....and I know that I have heard of someone doing this.....I want to see what it looks like and what if any advantages it gives.........Im not in any hurry to ruin an upper......fubsy.

Steve Smith

I think a few folks did this in HP if they were in the Match Rifle class and trying to mount aperture sights, but it doesn't make sense since there are A3's out there.

It's a scope to bore relationship thing. For most shooting, you want the scope as close to the bore as possible and the higher up the scope is mounted, the greater the difficulty in adjusting for drop when the range varies. Another reason why the handle is chopped off is that competitors seeks to have as stable a relationship between the scope and the receiver. "Screw-ons" as in A-3 don't cut the mustard in the minds of some competitors. HTH.

fubsy

For me its more than just the ability to get the scope closer to the bore, although that is a plus..........if the handle in front of the stock rear sight is removed,,,,,,that should provide the strongest rear iron sights available, while allowing the use of different optics. Never having taken off the rear sight housing it would appear that the handle stops the spring loaded torquing of the rear sight, if that is so its something else to consider..............I dont see were bolt on iron sights that go on most flattops are all that sturdy................Im still kicking the idea around about which way to go....fubsy.