Handgun vs Long gun with recoil is worse?

OkieCruffler

A visit from an old friend of mine today brought up an interesting discussion. What bothers you most, recoil from a handgun or a long gun? My friend's thing has always been big bore pistols and he has a couple, most notably a .44mag Blackhawk and a .444 T/C Contender, that I just don't care to shoot. However, when I offer to let him shoot my M44's or my .444 Marlin lever, he respectful declines. My excuse is that I broke my hand up pretty badly once upon a time, but I really didn't care for big bore pistols before then. I can handle my .357 snub with no problem, but anything wilder than that I try to stay away from. And yet I haven't found a rifle yet that I won't shoot until dark. So which bothers you most?

45King

A heavy thumping long gun bothers me more than a heavy thumping handgun, although I don't find either too much fun for too long. How long is too long? Sometimes, 3 or 4 shots is enough. Sometimes, it's 2 or 3 boxes of shells. Depends on what aches and pains I'm having that day to begin with.

While I'm not really old (47,) I find that longer shooting sessions, especially with heavy recoiling guns, to be more tiresome and painful than they were 10 years ago. Aging is the pits, but if fer dern sure beats the alternative.

PJR

It depends on the gun fit in both cases. My brother-in-law's Columbian Mauser in .30-06 is a snot bubbler with its short stock and no recoil pad. Heavier caliber rifles with proper stocks and thick pads are much easier to shoot. My recoil tolerance for sustained shooting in long guns peaks at the .375 H&H or 3" magnum slugs from a light 12 gauge. After that, it's no sale and I've tried most of the hard hitters (the .378 Wby was the worst).

A .44 magnum hurts like hell with the factory S&W grips but slap on a pair of Pachmayrs or Hogues and I'll shot full-house magnum all day long.

There was only one pistol that I couldn't fire due to recoil - a Sig Sauer P230 in .380 of all things. The way the grip is shaped it slaps a nerve in the web of my hand upon firing. Each round was like an electrical jolt going up my arm. I couldn't finish a magazine full.

Paul

cratz2

Well, I guess a handgun bothers me more. But I think it's easier to get to the ridiculous recoil level in a handgun.

I figure the hardest kicking rifle that pretty much anyone that's in good health should be able to fire without too much ado is either a sporter weight 30-06 or a heavy barrel 7mm Magnum. I've fired both several times. With handguns, a 7.5" barreled 44 Magnum is probably about the limit. Again, no problems here.

With rifles, without thinking too hard, I can only come up with a 338 Win, a very light 300 Win Mag and a not-too-heavy 375 H&H that my friends have as being over said limit. Again, these aren't too crazy but with handguns, I know people that have non-ported 444 Contenders, 454 Casull revolvers etc... I haven't worked up the gumption to fire the 444 yet and I'm not sure when I will. Nearly everyone that shoots it gets a smile on his face then shakes their hand around for about 10 minuites.

sig970

Firing my 3" S&W .44mag with my off hand makes me anticipate recoil some. 338mag is not something I want to spend an afternoon shooting either.

How come you can shoot them until the elk drops, but you can be recoil shy at the bench?????

TexasVet

Rifles by far. My arms bend at the elbows and wrists and will flex to absorb recoil, but my old shoulder doesn't give much anymore!:(