Handgun trap shooting

whitenack

We shoot trap on the back of our farm.

I assume, under no circumstances, would it be safe to shoot the trap with handguns, correct?

rapier144

Why if you have a high enough back stop it would be ok. I've done it on some land my father owned. Side of a mountain stopped any bullet. I would have had to be shooting at a 70 degree angle just to get to the top of the mountain with a round. Plus the mountains went for about 8 miles behind the one i was using for a back stop in case of any richochets.

Lycanthrope

I've hand thrown them and busted them with the 1911 and snake shot..... Fun when you don't tell your buddies you changed ammo.

:D

whitenack

I've hand thrown them and busted them with the 1911 and snake shot..... Fun when you don't tell your buddies you changed ammo.

Forgive my ignorance. I am new to handguns. What do you mean by this. You have a special ammo that makes it safe?

281 Quad Cam

Whitenack,

Snake shot is like a sort of shotgun round, several teeny weeny BB's in a .45ACP round with a plastic nose cone. They make them in all calibres down to .22lr. Useful for snakes............ I guess........... The name implies it anyway......... :eek:

Lycanthrope

Yes, snakeshot is very small and will break a clay out to about 15 yards. It doesn't have enough velocity on the way back down to cause any damage either.

Of course, as always when shooting, wear eye protection.

Powderman

Like Erick mentioned, shooting a handgun with a solid bullet into the air is NOT too safe in most environments.

Here, however, is a safe alternative:

Get yourself a Thompson/Center Contender, with a .410 barrel; I believe they still manufacture them. Now, you can shoot skeet or even trap to your heart's content. Sounds like it could be very fun and challenging!