Handgun training in Northeast Ohio?

braindead0

I'm looking for training somewhere at least relatively nearby. My wife wants to get more into shooting, and I'd prefer to have a professional teach her.. I'm pretty sure she's got the basics, but I know I've forgot to teach her something ;-).

Or, would anybody suggest 'book learnin'? I've been shooting for most of my life, and learned a bit from a LEO friend.... and I can read ;-)

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
Ohioans For Concealed Carry is working on organizing a group pistol course for some time in April. There will probably be a few TFLers there.

There's a range just outside of Brecksville called Stonewall that offers classes. There's also a local guy named Frank Reed who teaches "One on one" classes to familiarize someone to one specific pistol. Frank is relatively well known around here due to his frequent letters to the Editor. I have also heard him on the Rush Limbaugh show.

Check out The NRA's website for other locations.

Good luck! :)

-Dave

braindead0

I've been watching ofcc.net for a while, excellent site. Problem is they're way down south. Stonewall OTOH is closer.

Thanks for the linkage.

Khornet

Check out

Canton-McKinley rifle&pistol club, I beleive it's on Gans Rd. Should be in the phone book under 'Clubs'. Best range/club I ever saw, lots of dedicated pistol shooters there, safe and clean. If they don't have classes they'll know who does, but meanwhile I'd join there. It's a bargain. I miss it a lot.

ehenz

Braindead,

I don't want to disappoint you but check out Stonewall very carefully before you agree to a thing.

IMO their range is a dangerous place to be unless the place is deserted. Thier prices on everything are MSRP plus 10 to 20%.

I witnessed one of the courses which was offered free with a firearm purchase. Surfice to say, it did not seem like a good course on safety. More like a "this is how to shoot a gun" class.

I would also try Northcoast Sportsmans Advantage in Sheffield (a know it's a drive) but it is a very nice (new) facility with a video shoot simulator thats fun and cheap (take a .22 as you go through about 200 rounds in about 20 min).

Fly320s

Call Hidden Arms indoor range in Canal Fulton.

The owner, Dave, is planning a safety and training course to be run either in March or April. I've forgotten all the details.

They also run an IDPA shoot on Monday nights to test and improve your newly acquired skills.

Joe Gulish

EHENZ:

When did you see this course since they don't give free lessons with the purchase of a gun. And why is it so dangerous?

I have been to Northcost yes it is new. The shooting sim is not a good place to take a beginner. ( no 22.s on that range and you have to shoot there ammo) There box of Winchester 45 acp range ammo was $14.99 a box the same ammo at Stonewall was $12.99???

Blev

I have taken the basic, advanced and outdoor class at Hidden Arms. It is a good place to go. The instructor, Rick, is good. I enjoyed training there, and I plan to return there to keep up to date.

braindead0

Thanks for all the info. One of the guys at work told me about Hidden Arms, my SO and I are going there today to get in some shooting..

I'll have to look up the Canton-McKinley club, sounds perfect.