Handgun storage

meat

What's the best way to store a gun that you use for a bedside gun? It has to be quickly accessable yet safe.
2nd, Is it safe to store these guns in a drawer during the day locked up (or under the bed). Will storing a defense gun this way make it prone to rust? I do shoot this gun at range sessions and clean it after every use and put some break-free to help keep it protected. My room is in the basement of a house so it is extremely prone to humidity. Any responses appreciated.

Ben Shepherd

I don't think the hummidity would be any worse than the gun you carry on your person. I keep mine in a pocket holster between the matress and box spring(no kids to worry about). It's perfectly safe in a LOCKED drawer during the day.

RANash

In my experience, if you use BreakFree on the gun and don't let it sit for many months at a time, but clean it and reapply BF every 6 weeks at least, the BF will protect the gun from household humidity, even in an extremely humid environment.

On the other hand, don't let the gun actually get wet. Be sure that any foam padding or cloth you've got wrapped around the gun is dry. If you're really worried, some dessicant (did I spell that right?) material might make you more at ease. But BF is amazingly good at preventing rust.

blades67

If you aren't home, the best place to store a handgun is a safe if you can't keep it with you. The GunVault is only tamper resistant; two minutes with a pry-bar and that thing'll look like an open can of tuna.