Handgun storage

iluvlabs1

My wife and I purchased a steel, combination-lock box from a local gunshop, in which we will store a handgun. The gun will remain in the box for indefinite periods. The box has a foam cushion on the bottom. Although the salesman indicated the box was suitable for handgun storage, I was wondering whether the foam cushion might retain moisture, and possibly cause pitting or discoloration to the gun's blue finish. I can simply remove the cushion, but was wondering if I'm just being unduly concerned. We live in the midwest, so high humidity levels are not a concern. I'd appreciate any comments or sharing of experiences with a similar situation. Thanks.

croyance

I would think you would regularly clean your gun (and take it to the range to get reaquainted) so you would notice any problems.
If you have a concern, get those bags of silicon drying stuff. Some gun stores have them, camera supply store might. They can be dried out again in a low heat oven. Check instructions on that.

Mikeyboy

If you have a concern, get those bags of silicon drying stuff. Some gun stores have them, camera supply store might. They can be dried out again in a low heat oven. Check instructions on that.

Tis the Holiday season...I bet someone in your family will have a gift with one of those bags in the package. I collect them every Christmas, birthday, or when the wife goes shoe/purse shopping. I put one in the pistol lock box and several in my longgun cabinet. Your in a dry climate, as long as you regularly maintain your gun, you should be fine if you leave the foam in there. Your weapon is going to get a lot of dents and scratches if you don't have any padding especially if the box is moble/moving and not bolted down. Another option is felt (check craft or fabric stores), but it does cushion as well as foam.

03roushs1

I don't have any problems with the foam in mine retaining any moisture. I have a gun-vault. I do keep some of the silica moisture scavenger's in there though.

dairycreek

Something that works for me is to use the clear, plastic, "stair stepped" file separators that are meant to be placed on top of a desk/table. They are stair stepped so that file folders can easily be seen and it works for storing handguns much the same way. When put inside the safe/lockbox/etc. the stair stepped pistols are easily visible for inspection and allow for complete air circulation around the guns. To make sure the plastic does not scratch the gun I use a bit of mole skin here and there. Works great!:)

BillCA

You can also use VCI chips to prevent corrosion in a small gun safe.

VCI is short for "vapor corrosion inhibitor" and you can find these at some sporting goods shops, electronic component stores, etc. Midway supply has a version of these. See this link for an example.