Handgun Shipping Revisited: UPS stating only "Authorized Firearm Shipper" may ship?

I've been thinking of selling my semi-auto handgun, but this quote in UPS Terms & Conditions troubles me.
(Link: http://www.ups.com/using/services/details/firearms.html)

• [*]UPS accepts handgun shipments from UPS daily pickup accounts and through UPS Customer Counters. Handguns are not accepted for shipment via UPS Letter Centers, UPS SonicAir BestFlight service, UPS Internet Shipping, UPS On Call Air Pickup, UPS One-Time Pickup, or international service. Handguns will not be accepted when presented for shipment at a UPS Authorized Shipping Outlet or a UPS Commercial Counter.

[*]Firearm shippers shipping through a UPS Customer Counter must have a letter on record with UPS stating their status as an authorized firearm shipper.

I take it that "letter on record with UPS stating their status as an authorized firearm shipper" means the FFL paper? Doesn't that mean a private citizen can't ship a handgun thru UPS?

I have a buyer in my state (WA), so the shipping is only within the state. I check with ATF to make sure there's no need to ship to FFL dealer per ATF regulation. But FedEx wants firearm disassembled, and UPS with this language, there are just too many hoops to jump thru. :rolleyes:

Veloce851

Hmm.. I didn't see that..

UPS accepts handgun shipments from UPS daily pickup accounts and through UPS Customer Counters
To me that says they accept them.. but only at UPS counters, and pick up accounts (any business with an account)

Handguns will not be accepted when presented for shipment at a UPS Authorized Shipping Outlet or a UPS Commercial Counter.
To me that says places like Mail boxes etc's can't accept them

Firearm shippers shipping through a UPS Customer Counter must have a letter on record with UPS stating their status as an authorized firearm shipper.

And I read this as any professional shipper must have their FFL on file.

I'm not sure I read anything that we should be worried about.. but I'm no lawyer

I don't have a business pickup account with them, so the only choice left is UPS Customer Counter. Their terms and conditions read as if only "authorized firearm shipper on file with them" may ship the handgun at their Customer Counter.

Looks like I'll have to call UPS office tomorrow to get to the bottom of it.

Veloce851

yeah I agree it sounds a little vague and full of double talk. Do you have any friends that work somewhere with a business account?

yankytrash

As a US Citizen legally entitled to own guns, I am authorized by the United States of America to ship my handgun to any FFL holder in the 50 US States. That authorization is granted to me under the CFR rules of the US.

So are you.

HankB

Hmmm . . . I know that under LAW, a private citizen may ship a handgun to an FFL holder for repair or modification. UPS, as a private carrier, has instituted additional policies regarding shipment of handguns, such as requiring next-day-Air shipment because otherwise it's too easy for their employees to steal guns.

My question is, under the LAW, is there some legal penalty for not adhering to a private carrier's policies?

Hypothetical situation: You ship a pistol to an FFL holder for repair via UPS, using something like PakMail or Mailboxes Etc., who doesn't ask you what's in the box (or asks and doesn't care) and doesn't ship it by air. I imagine you may have trouble collecting insurance if the package is lost, but is violating a private company's policy a criminal violation under the law?

Okay, here's the latest, and bad news! I called UPS shipping center twice on this to confirm, but both time they said and I quote "Since you don't have FFL, you could only ship the handgun to its manufacturer for repair or adjustment!" This is true even if I'm just shipping to another private citizen in my own state, which is perfectly legal according to ATF's regulations.

I also checked with FedEx, and they want it shipped to, or shipped by FFL holder or manufactuer as well, even for shipping to next door!!

As for your question HankB, I don't think it'd be criminal to ship it not according to the company's regulation. At the most its the risk of not able to collect if it's lost. As long as I shipped via a common carrier as per ATF regulation, it's perfectly legal.

I think this shipping deal stinks. If i have to, I'll drive to deliver it myself! GRRRRR :mad:

Last edited:
I shipped a handgun a couple of weeks ago via UPS. No problem. I just told them that I needed to ship a handgun to a licensed dealer. I will note that an email reply from UPS Customer Service stated that a Non-FFL could only ship a handgun to a FFL for warranty work, gunsmithing, or return. They didn't mention anything about sales to that FFL or to that FFL for a transfer.