Handgun safe/cabinets?

MagicMan

What areyou guys storing your handguns in? I'm looking for an inexpensive safe/cabinet to hold at least 3 handguns

Sevens

Two questions for you to consider:
1) Do you live in a not-for-the-long-term residence right now, like an apartment for a couple years until you figure out where you want to end up?

and

2) This guns & shooting-- are you in to it for the long haul?

IMO, once you have an established residence where you don't intend to move any time soon, it's time to quit making excuses and buy a real, large, refrigerators sized gun safe. No excuses about money or cost... you spent the money on the guns, you feed them with ammo, give 'em a real home and give yourself piece of mind. If you spend 24 hours a day at home, 7 days a week, then you can watch over them yourself with one in hand. If, however, you are a normal person, you can't be home all the time.

Buy a safe. Bigger is better. Spend whatever it takes, even if it means you push back the next gun purchase. Eat some ramen noodles for two months, that will help.

MagicMan

In an apt right now. Buying a house this year.

I plan to buy a big safe after the house, but for now I'll need something cheap to store them in.

Sevens

If you want really cheap, Wal-Mart sells the little handgun security boxes for $20, got a little key lock, make of sheet metal. Would stop any curious kids or punks, would slow down any real thief, but doesn't offer a heap of security. Coupled with hiding the actual cabinets and securing them to wall studs somewhere, it's a cheap route you could go for the time being.

The electronic keypad handgun sized safes usually run from $65-$150, depending on make and model and where you get them. More security than the cheap box, but still not a real safe.

The one to absolutely avoid is the lockable, fire proof document safes they sell for papers and such. These trap in moisture and will lead to rust and corrosion on your handguns.

Rich Miranda

If you want one- or two-gun storage, the DAC Sportsafe may be a good choice.

I posted a thread here showing how I installed mine.

Especially if you keep it concealed, this could be a good option for SD guns in the home that must be kept away from children.

wyocarp

Just get a bigger safe and buy more handguns.

GrizzlyPictures001221.jpg