Handgun restoration

Murdock

I have acquired a few nice S&W handguns over the years (well used but perfectly serviceable), such as a post war pre-M27 and a Model of 1950 military .44 Special, with remaining finishes of maybe 70%. I think they deserve to look good again, but don't want to simply have them polished to death and made shiney. I would like to have a finish placed on them that would duplicate the originals, and then use them and maintain them as if I had bought them new.

Doug Turnbull does not restore Smiths, as that would have been my first choice. Hamilton Bowen and Ford's have excellent reputations for refinishing, but "restoration" may be another cat entirely.

I accept that restoration may cost as much as finding and purchasing an original in high condition. I really don't want to invite a "should I or shouldn't I" discussion, but rather would like to hear from owners who have gone the restoration route, and learn who they would recommend for S&W restoration, and why.

Thanks.

old bear

I've never had it done but I would contact S&W, explain in great detail what I wanted done and be clear that you were willing to pay a premium price to have PREMIUM work preformed.

Best of luck with your projects and please let us know how it turns out. Ok I'm being selfish here but how about some before and after pix.

stevieboy

I recommend that you start with S & W. Their service department ought to be able to recondition your old revolvers. They also offer a reblueing service. I've never used it but I've seen some good reviews on this and other forums. As another poster said, give 'em a call and tell them what you want. They'll guide you from there.

BruceM

If the guns are mechanically ok, Fords does excellent refinishing work. Even if the finish is pitted, they can deal with it. They also have engravers who can re-strike logos, re-engrave lettering and restore roll marks. Very few people in the country can duplicate the original S&W Carbonia blue used on your Pre-Model guns-Fords included. The factory quit using that process in the early 1970's. I do not know if Hamilton Bowen can do this type of finish or not but Ron's Gun Shop offered it at one time. If you're looking at a restoration to that level of detail, it may not hurt to talk to them and see what they have to say.

http://store.ronsgunshop.com/

;)

Bruce

Last edited:

James K

Member In Memoriam
I don't disagree with the above, but there is a problem. S&W did their old guns with a process known as Carbona blue, which was applied while the guns were under heat treatment in a gas furnace. In other words, the bluing was part of the heat treatment (not to be confused with simple heat bluing). That process cannot be duplicated because to do so would ruin the heat treatment. So for many years, S&W used plain hot tank blue on guns they refinished, and because their polishing was so good, it was close enough to the Carbona blue that few people ever knew the difference.

Today, AFAIK, S&W does only tank bluing, even on new production, but I may be wrong.

To make a long posting short, the original finish on an older S&W can't be duplicated, even by S&W, so a really good shop should be able to do about as well as S&W. Still, I would call S&W and check with them; they might give you a better price than some other shops.

Jim

DPris

Member Emeritus
What S&W did on my 29 came out looking better than any recent new Smith I've handled. Dunno if they take extra care with a re-do, but it really looks superb. Just FYI.
I't's giving me a hard time over actually toting it.
Denis

BruceM

"True, Bruce, but I wanted to explain why shops can't duplicate the Carbona blue process."

Jim:

Please see this web page:

http://www.ronsgunshop.com/finishes.html

Doug Turnbull offers the same finish on Colt restorations.

Smith & Wesson did refinish guns using the Carbonia method so it can be done.

:)

Bruce

AcridSaint

I don't know about the bluing process they used, but as long as one knows the heat treating process I don't see why it couldn't be done. The bluing would have to be done after any hardening process, meaning it was done in tempering. As long as you don't exceed the draw temp used, you can pretty much heat them up as long as you like.

Murdock

Thanks for the replies. This was just the sort of information I was seeking. I had been unaware of RGS prior to this, and was impressed with their web site info. All of the above information has set me in motion, and I will post before-and-after pics when available.

BTW, previewed the James Julia auction at the same time (as some may know, Poulin and Julia are brothers-in-law, and share the same parking lot). It was stupefying, as always. The finish on a S&W Hand Ejector "Triple Lock" target .44, made in 1909, was marvelous, even with the wear of good use put to it. It got me thinking about a carbola finish...

Last edited: