Handgun rental fee help...plz.

DiscoRacing

Am giving thought to renting some of my handguns as an addition to a class for conceal carry. This would be for the novice and would only be a means of reference for various caliber recoil...not to help choose a specific model/brand(due to the lack of variety in my possession)(since most are S&W). Calibers for rent would be 9mm, .38SPCL, .357MG, .40, .45ACP, .45LC, .44MG, .460MG, .500MG.

I was specifically looking for current rental fees per handgun. Also if there is a price for three or four different guns,,or just an additional reduced fee for each additional.

Thank you in advance for any help with current rental fee arrangements.:cool:

C0untZer0

I guess gunshops make money on their rentals otherwise they wouldn't do it. Rent a hand gun out 20 or so times and it's paid for, but I wonder if they put stipulations on the ammo? Like no re-loads or no certain brands (cheap low-quality, dirty ammo)

Also, when a gun store rents a firearm they end up cleaning it themselves right?

irish52084

The range by me rents all the guns for $11/day. No reloads and only jacketed ammo allowed, no exposed lead. You pay $11 and you can rent any or all of the guns available, 1 at a time. I think Wednesday is free rental day, pay the range fee and your rental is free. It's nice if you want to try out 3-4 handguns to help you decide which you like best.

Rj1972

Fees

At the one I go to, if you're a member then it's $6 per gun rental. You do have to buy THEIR ammo though ($15 or so for a box of 50 9mm). You also pay a range fee of about $8. If you're not a member, it's $10/rental gun and a dollar extra for ammo. The non-member range fee is like $16.

But the rental is for the entire day, so if you go during lunch you can come back after work (free rental/range fee then). You do have to buy ANOTHER box of ammo. They don't allow anything but their own ammo in their rental guns and if you leave they're not sure if it's the same ammo or not.

If you're at the range & you rent more than one gun then you can use the same ammo you bought from them. They usually also only allow you to have 2 guns at the range at a time. So if you want to test out 3 guns, you'd test 2 and then bring 1 back (or bring 2 back) and then take the 3rd back to the range (indoor range). I find this works well enough with the "do I like this one, this one or this one" test.

Boatme98

Fees seem to be all over the place but I think if you're teaching as a business, buy some guns under the business name. Do not rent personal weapons. All kinds of liability questions there.

Sleuth

All the ranges I am familiar with require the use of their ammo. After someone manages to blow up one of your S&W's with a bad handload, you'll see the wisdom of that requirement.

When I teach, I simply include the cost of my guns and my ammo in the fee. It reduces paperwork, and since it is spread over all students (if they use my guns or not), it is only a small percentage of my fee. If the clients are only going to use their guns/ammo, I just reduce my fee.

BTW, do you insure you will not be providing a firearms to a 'prohibited possessor'? Even a decades old domestic violence conviction means they cannot possess any firearms or ammunition. Big trouble there if you don't watch out. A domestic violence restraining order also makes them prohibited.

mavracer

IIRC it's $5 per gun and I know they make you buy their ammo.

Even a decades old domestic violence conviction means they cannot possess any firearms or ammunition. Big trouble there if you don't watch out. A domestic violence restraining order also makes them prohibited.
prohibited from purchasing may be different from prohibeted from possesion.
Some mistermeaner may keep you from passing the NICS check but it doesn't prevent you from legally possesing a gun.

Last edited:

Sleuth

mavracer, you had better check the law, as I recall ( and I can be wrong), if you cannot buy, you cannot posses.

Spats McGee

Administrator
Here, it's $5 per gun and you must use range ammo.

mavracer said:
prohibited from purchasing may be different from prohibeted from possesion.
a mistermeaner battery DV may keep you from passing the NICS check but it doesn't prevent you from legally possesing a gun.
(g) It shall be unlawful for any person . . . .
(9) who has been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence, to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce, or possess in or affecting commerce, any firearm or ammunition; or to receive any firearm or ammunition which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.
18 U.S.C.A. § 922 (West)

mavracer

Federal law only prohibits posssession of a handgun by a minor (under 18yo) but doesn't prohibit an 18yo to posses one. However at 18 you can't buy a handgun on a 4473.in KS it's legal to rent a handgun to an 18-20yo. By all means ck local laws and error on the side of caution.

Just asked my buddy he was originally charged with DV battery it was reduced to disorderly conduct. This will keep you from passing a NICS but you can still posses.

Last edited:

motorhead0922

Disco, the guy who taught my CCW class will rent his guns (22LR revolver or semi) for $25 for the class, ammo included. This is because Missouri requires shooting both a semi and revolver, and not everyone owns both.

At the indoor range I go to, guns rent for $30-$50 and ammo is included. You get 100 rounds of 22LR or 50 rounds of centerfire. Basically, you buy their ammo and then you can shoot every gun they own in that caliber, until you run out. Members (that's me) pay half price. So the last time, for $15 I shot 100 rounds of 22LR through 2 revolvers.

Last edited:

9mm

IIRC there was this one time we went to a range and it costed $40 we got 3 handguns and 2 boxes of ammo. The ammo alone was worth $30 and I think the rental was $10.. :)

Sleuth

mavracer, the cite quoted above is from Title 18, United States Code (Annotated) Section 922g(9) - it is Federal Law. Failure to obey the law carries stiff penalties, as it is a Felony.

States may have laws that are more restrictive, but everyone is still subject to Federal Law. We may not like it, but it is the law.

DiscoRacing

I was only inquiring because the guy who teaches the class is a friend of mine..and people ask me at times to shoot my 500mag and 460mag... and in the past I have told them no..

.. And it got me to thinkin that if they would pay me a lil bit... then i would be more likely to let them squeeze off a round or two..so to speak.

... But i wanted to be fair in a price... My guns are already paid for..and Im not trying to take anyone... just enlighten for those who havent gotten to feel the powers that i have...or those who may not be as lucky as myself and cant afford the bigger calibers..but would like to shoot one a couple of times.

Sevens

.45LC, .44MG, .460MG, .500MG.
Would seem best to me if these were simply left at home. Afterall, if the purpose of the class is concealed carry training, it would seem to make the most sense to uncomplicate things for the new people who may be taking the class.

If this is a general handgun class... or if you simply want to try and make a little dough renting handguns, I could see it. Otherwise, it's like offering a motorcycle training class but also having a Ferrari available to try simply because you happen to have one available.

Of course, these are merely my opinions. At the core, you are providing tools that new folks can't easily otherwise get their hands on, and for that, I think you are doing well!

Indoor range near me rents a gun for $10 and you must purchase at least one box of their ammo and you may only shoot their ammo through it. They are good enough to have regular range ammo... Blazer Brass, WWB or Fiocchi hardball, nothing exotic (horribly expensive!) for the rental guns.

You'd have to figure out a way to provide and charge for ammo, and for darn sure certain, you couldn't give them handloads unless you do NOT charge for them. That could get you in a heap of trouble if you were to sell your handloads for any price without the proper FFL.

I bring up handloads mostly for the .45 Colt, .460 and .500, where most folks who have and enjoy these calibers simply must handload for them... or sell one of their kids! ;)

MidwestRookie

my range charges I think $15 for a rental, but only allows ammo bought at the range to be shot in them.

the range I went down to in Florida charged about the same, and they only allow ammo bought there to be shot period, rental or not.

not sure how this helps at all regarding the range you'll be going to, but eh..

Drummer101

local at the range $20 each.

But being that you are in Minnesota I have been thinking about asking to try some of your collection.