Handgun nut needs rifle advice!

GodblessAmerica

Hello All,
First post in the rifle section. I am a devoted handgun nut but have been thinking for awhile now about getting a new rifle for the first time in 12+ yrs. My intent: target shooting only for now. Distances: I want to work my accuracy up with increasing distances, maybe start with open sights and move to optics? You guys tell me on this strategy. I'm able to shoot up to 300 yds. currently at my preferred range but will want something capable of 500 + eventually. Preferences: Bolt action, Semi, do not care except must be reliable and relatively easy to clean. Recoil does not bother me much, but the sound of some calibers still bothers this old (feeling, not age wise) soldier. Would like something bipod capable for long shots. Reload status: no, not yet. Want to, but won't have time for several more years. Budget: up to @ $900 if I pay cash, maybe $1600 - 1700 if I trade something also. Like all, I'd like the best for the lowest buck though.
Please give me some recommendations on what you would do given your experience and these parameters. Thanks
G

Fal 4 Me

I believe the a Savage or Remington 700 in a varmint configuration would fit your requirements precisely. They're both bolt actions. Look for one in .223 or .308, add a nice scope and you'll be set to go.

mta90412

kudos on the bolts fal but y not a FAL. Its .308 and an awsome gun if it is built right. You can get awsome groups past 600 and have the benifit of easy to find ammo. plus when you pull it out at the range people go oooohhh and aaaahhh.

joshua

Sounds like a good AR-15 fits the bill on what you need.
A DPMS Panther DCM will certainly suffice, great adjustable iron sights and it's capable in mounting a scope in a pinch. Get one in 1/8 twist and take advantage of 55 grain bullets for 100 yard range sessions then when ready to step up to 300 you can go 69 grain match bullets. Once you are ready to try 600 yard shooting the 77 grain SMKs will be a good choice. A quality AR-15 with at least a 20" barrel or longer (not shorter) is a great rifle for your needs. josh
RFA2-CMP.jpg

kwkoch

i agree with joshua, an ar-15 is an excellent choice for long distance target shooting. the ammo is cheep and the gun is endlessly modifiable. i would recomend a flattop if your going to add glass in the future.

GodblessAmerica

Good ideas so far, thanks. A couple more questions. Does anybody shoot the
.223 WSSM? Supposedly flatter trajectory, but I don't know. Does anyone make an AR upper chambered for this caliber? I noticed CDNN is blowing out a bunch of Winchester 70s in this cal, but I have never even it. Just kicking ideas around, you guys tell me. Also, what about something like an M1A? Does Springfield's Loaded come with a 20" + barrel? I have looked at two SOCOMS and really like the configurations and weight, but thought a longer barrel would be better for my purposes. Let me know what you think.
Thanks

Old Time Hunter

My suggestion is go with a .300 Win Mag, almost any bolt action rifle. My preference is the Ruger (good wood, accurate, and cheap!), with a good scope you will still be in under $900 easy. There is a reason this is the preferred cartridge of special forces snipers.

Beerbaron2448

Definitely take a look at the Remington XR-100 Rangemaster and Remington 700 VSF & VS SF II. The Rangemaster is a single shot bolt action which is ideal for target shooting. The 700's are chambered in the popular long range, low recoil cartridges that are great for punching holes in paper. Remington's are extremely accurate factory rifles with a nice trigger.

Also, although I don't have experience with them, I have been told that the Savage rifles with the Accu-Trigger are excellent for target shooting. A good trigger will make all the difference at 400+ yards.

GodblessAmerica

Uh Oh!
We're digging into territory I hadn't thought of before. I'm gettin' nervous (LOL:p). Seriously, can someone compare noise/muzzle blast of a big caliber like .300 Win Mag to a handgun caliber that I'm familiar with like .357 or .45ACP? How about felt recoil? I want something that I will enjoy shooting a bazillion rounds through at the range, just trying to get a feel of what to look for still. Thanks All. The various opinions offered here are exactly the reason I asked this question here.
G

Ac1d0v3r1d3

i havent shot the .300

but i'll tell you right now that even if you dont feel it in your shoulder you'll feel it in your wallet after a "bazillion rounds"

maas

i have a 338 win mag it dosn't seem as loud as my 45 acp (i dont conceder the 45 loud anyways) but then again its farther away i wouldnt get a 223 and try to concitanty shoot 500 yards i would either get a 22-250 or if you want a heaver bullet a 308. sure theres really cool cals out there (308 norma) but you have to reload them. as far as the action goes get a bolt, semis are cool but pricey. these are just my oppions im sure sombody will disagree. but if i cared i would of kepted them to myself instead of trying to help.

Fal 4 Me

GodBlessAmerica don't get overwhelmed by all of these suggestions. While all the suggested rifles are fine in their own right, they are not the best rifles for someone just entering, or re-entering, this territory. Promise you won't go with the .300 mag, this is way overboard, especially when it comes to your wallet.

I would advise to keep it simple and go with proven, time-tested equipment. This would be a bolt action in .223 or .308. Neither caliber will have horrible recoil, quality match ammo is readily available, and if you get into reloading you'll find more info on these calibers than any other. If you really want to shoot a bazillion rounds, the .223 is your best choice. Depending on the rifle, even .308 will add up after a few boxes of cartridges. A popular design like the Remington 700 will have lots of information available for improving and refining an already great design. All in all this is probably the best way to go.:)

Blackwater OPS

Go with a fulton armory m14. Semi-auto, 20 rd mags and can be fired accurately out to 1000m. If you want to shoot varmints go with an AR.

prime8

+ 1 on the 300 Win Mag!!

My model 70 is in 300 Win Mag, and I love it. The recoil is WAY over rated. I think anyone over 170 lbs can take it wiyh ease. I broke a rookie in on it. The first rifle he shot was a 300 Win Mag!! Hes going to be sooo dissapointed with anything else, from here on out. He wasnt a real big guy, around 165. I put a 100 rds through it the first 2 days I had it. Now thats where it hits you!!! Not the shoulder, the pocket book. Where I live its about a 1.00 dollar a round!!!!! If you dont reload now you will after you buy a 300 Win Mag. And thier right< U.S. snipers chose this round for a very good reason. If you plan to hunt anything BIG, at LONG ranges,(5-600 yds) this is it!!:eek:

Abndoc

I agree with Fal 4 Me. A bolt action in .223 (cheap to shoot) or .308 (versatile). Both are mild on recoil and both will reach out there when you go that direction. Ammo for both is plentiful and generally available everywhere. Reloading components, if you choose to, are also everywhere. What it really boils down to, is you will buy what you like, for your own reasons, despite what anyone here says. Half of the fun of a new purchase is the journey getting there.

GodblessAmerica

Talk about ammo stickershock!!!

Hello all. Again, thanks for so many excellent replies. Been thinking long and hard for awhile before this post that I should get a good bolt action in .223 or .308 and work my way up to proficiency before jumping back into the semi-auto territory again. But in typical thinker's quandry, I still like the allure of semi autos like AR and M1A. I carried a number of M16s and other autos while serving this great nation, and do miss them. So, while I chew on this a little bit more, just wanted to report on something I came across today. While at Wally world today, I handled one of their synthetic Winchester M70s in .223WSSM to get a feel for it. Like the Rem. 700, it feels light and has a short pull for me, (I know, I'm opposite most of their buyers, I want a heavier, longer rifle, I'm only gonna hump it from the trunk to the benchrest 10 yds away:) ). So, having seen a few ballistic tests of the WSSM vs. standard .223, and considering it's lack of platforms so far, I expect that the ammo cost will be somewhat higher than the .223. I ask the clerk how much the difference is and am genuinely shocked to find that the WSSM is 19.99 for a 20 round box!!! That dern round costs what my Speer Gold Dots and Rem. Golden Sabers cost for my defensive handguns, but I only shoot them periodically for reliability and accuracy purposes. If I wanted to spend a buck a round on something I'm gonna shoot 400-500 rounds per month it had better be a caliber that starts with a .3, .4 or .5! Aaargh!. Guess I'll look at .223 and .308s a little more. Still sitting on the fence about bolt vs. semi, but I'm leaning bolt as many have suggested. If so, my next one will be an AR, M1A or HK so not to worry....
Thanks again all.
G