Handgun in car in Florida

Legumeofterror

I'm 20 and want carry a loaded handgun in my car. now, from what i can find, Florida law states:

"It is lawful to possess a concealed firearm for self-defense or other lawful
purposes within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license,
if the firearm is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for
immediate use. A firearm other than a handgun may be carried anywhere
in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use.
This exemption does not authorize the carrying of a firearm concealed on the
person."

would in my glove box in a holster or zipped case be consedered "securly encased"?

stephen426

I started carrying a handgun in my car (in Florida) at the age of 19. It is perfectly legal (even if it is loaded) as long as it is in a snap holster or zippered case inside an enclosed compartment such as a glove box or center console. I was pulled over on several occasions and had no problems with the police officers when I told them I had loaded guns in the car. I did this since I usually had the guns where I had the registration and insurance. Forgetting this fact can lead to some pretty hairy situations.

The law seems pretty vague and most police officers don't know what the the law is. I have heard of things such as "no guns allowed within reach" to the "3 step rule". Based on my personal experience and the many people I have spoken to, it is legal to do so. I hope this helps.

joab

The loaded gun needs only to be in the glove box there is not requirement that it also be in another container

I have carried one in my glovebox in my car for about thirty years

The law is clearly spelled out, there is no vagueness
If a cop doesn't know the law it is only because he has not bothered to read it

joab

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/in...tm&StatuteYear=2007&Title=->2007->Chapter 790

You had the law right but as always the devil is in the details

There is a specific legal definition of "securely encased"

(17) "Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.

The gun also does not have t be in the glove box as long as any of the other conditons are met
Glovebox carry is just the most logical to most people

Alleykat

Just so you guys in GA won't assume that your laws are the same as Florida's, in GA, 18-20 year-olds can't carry a loaded handgun in their vehicles, even though a firearms license isn't required for such carry. There are a few features of GA's gun laws that are ridiculous and should be corrected. The problem in GA is the influence of the urban liberals, who lobby our legislature.

CraigC

Joab is right. It has to be either in a zippered case, a holster with a retaining strap, OR the glovebox. Does not have to be in a combination of those three. It can be loaded and you do not have to have a concealed weapons license.

Now whether or not you can do that at age 20 is another matter.

Legumeofterror

(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance...

looks like im good. i intend to have it printed out in my car in case a trooper decides to give me trouble for it.