handgun hunting

geez768

I have white tail hunted for years with shotguns and muzzle loaders, but i want to start hunting with a 44mag revolver. can somebody help me with a good load and what may be my max range. about 150 yrs is not uncommon where i hunt but not alot farther than that. is that too far for a 44mag. (i know about the 460 and 500mag but i am going to be hunting with a 44mag) i dont have alot of use for the 460 or 500. i like to buy guns that i can use for more than one thing.(44mag for hunting and 44spc in it for a house gun from time to time. thanks

kayakersteve

multiple uses

Not only can you shoot 460 magnums with the 460, but also 454 casull and 45 long colt. Has you covered from small deer to moose at close shots to your ability out to 200 yards.. Can't get much more multiple use than that!

bcarver

44 mag load

Try the Hornady 240 grain hp-xtp bullet; Win 296 powder (start at about 23.7 grains and go up); try magnum and standard primers( I had the best luck with the magnum by far.) with a medium crimp(good enough to hold under recoil but not enough to deform the bullet). You didn't say what kind of gun but these loads where fired in a Ruger Super Redhawk. You may want to start lower if your gun is lighter or older.

Once you got a good round see how far back you can stay in a 12" circle from different positions. My pistol could always shoot futher than I could.
A scope can almost double your range.
Good luck.

geez768

thanks, im am not set up to reload right now. (hope to be within the year) so i will be looking for factory loads for now. i will be getting either a dan wesson, or smith & wesson maybe a ruger. i like the dan wesson and smith better but the strength of the ruger is hard to pass on.

Rembrandt

I regularly hunt with a .44 Mag....S&W Performance Center open sights and a scoped Desert Eagle (6 & 14" barrels). My personal limit is about 100 yards with open sights and up to 200 yards with a scope.

Have taken several antelope and deer at 200 yards, the .44 is fully capable at that distance. Bullet drop begins to be quite noticeable between 100-200 yds. If you're certain those are the distances you'll be hunting, set up the sights in advance and practice at that distance.

DEKit.jpg

PerformanceCenter44.jpg

I've been very satisfied with the Winchester Supreme ammo (250 grain).

pg.jpg

supreme-top.gif

geez768

kayakersteve, i never though about the 460 also being able to shoot 454casull and 45 long colt. i knew it would but i guess i just didnt think about it. only problem is the only gun i know that is chambered in 460 is the S&W X-frame. now dont get me wrong the S&W in any form has always been my first choice but it is new and expensive, and not too much in the used market yet. but i still will keep it in mind. i was thinking about the 454/45 combo anyway, this would give me one more option.:D

kayakersteve

460v

Yes it's an expensive gun - My 460V (5 inch barrel) was around 1150.00 and I struggled with dropping that much money on a newly developed gun, but haven't regretted it since buying it. At 5", I can still carry in a belt holster all day comfortably and it is a blast to shoot. I did send it out for custom sites and it is even easier to aim now. Anyhow, I'm sure your get the best gun for your needs - - always a balance of caliber, cost and how well your attracted to it!

keita

If you're worried about expense, how about Taurus Raging Bull.

I have a 454 in 8 inch barrel, and it gets the job done although I'm sure it's not as nice as S&W.

I didn't realize that 460 can shoot a 454 and 45 colt. I felt that versatility of 45 colt and 454 is more than enough, and let me tell ya... you can go bigger like 500, but I doubt that there are many animals you can't take down with a 454.

geez768

ive heard mixed reveiws on the Taurus. and it feels different in my hand from the S&W or dan wesson revolvers, maybe its just the grip. i have always had S&W revolvers only but am open to others but i have to be 100% confident in a weapon befor i will buy one. but to be fair to the Taurus i have never shoot one. i just like the feel of the others better

T. O'Heir

"...is that too far for a 44mag..." Yep. Unless you can hit a 9" pie plate every time at that distance. Even then you've only got 543 ft-lbs and 1010fps at 100 with a 240 grain bullet.

buck460XVR

I can't wait to hunt deer with my .460 this year. The difference in price of ammo and recoil between the .460 and .454 is nill, so I haven't shot much .454 thru it, but shooting .45LC's thru it is a hoot and I was surprised with the accuracy. My PC .460 was just a little over a grand out the door.

big460.jpg

onlybrowning

Holy crap 600yds? My really hot hunting loads drop like a ton of bricks after about 100yds. How could he learn that trajectory. I mean I know how, but I'm suprised there is any lead left in the world after practicing that much to do that. And you know it was probably open sights, huh? WOW!