Handgun Hunting. Which caliber?

stmcelroy

Have had the handgun hunting bug for years. This year I have decided to go for it.

Bought a MRI Lone Eagle in 30.06, mounted with Burris 2x7 scope.
Shoots nicely off hand, and doesn't recoil that bad. When hunting I always get a good rest, plan on shooting upto 250-300 yards with this combo.

I want a Ruger Super Redhawk for woods/tree stand hunting. I will have the option of either using open sights or 2x scope, depending on the situation. I want to be able to hunt deer, bear and elk with this gun, at ranges from 25-150 yards.

Which caliber would you buy, either .454 casull or .480 Ruger?

I will reload, so no ammo problems.

Thanks,
Steve Mc.

Salt

I do not know if it is true, but I was told that Ruger is now chambering their lever action carbine in .480 Ruger.

This would make the .480 a good choice for the Super Redhawk revolver as you will then have the option of buying a lever carbine in the same chambering.

whiskey

Either will kill all animals you listed. If you have never fired a .454, shoot one first. I don't want one, it just plain hurts me. I have not tried the .480, but recoil is supposed to be milder. A .45LC would do the job too, loaded hot with a 320gr or so. The Super Redhawks are good guns but you could go with the lighter Redhawk if you went with .45

1redneck

If I had the cash I would get a .454 in a minute, have you thought about .44? Granted it is not a .454 or.480 but it is still a very worthy cartridge. I have a Super Redhawk with a 7 1/2 inch barrel and a 2x scope- it preforms very impressivly at 100 yards with a decent load. I no of one guy localy who dropped a deer with one shot with his .44 with open sights at 200, then again it sounds as though he shoots this gun more than he eats or sleeps and knows it incredibly well. Hope you find some thing that fits you needs perfectly don't forget to let us know what you end up getting.

good shootin

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Being in Washington state you probably would need either
the .454 Casull, or .480 Ruger; but here in BamaLand with
the larget critter being white tail deer, a good quality .44
magnum should suffice. :eek: With that said, I probably
would opt for a Smith & Wesson 629 Classic with either
the 5" or 6-1/2" barrel; and/or a Ruger Redhawk with
5.5" barrel.:cool: :D :)

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Poodleshooter

.454 It's easier and cheaper to get components for. The ability to shoot downloaded .45 Colt is handy too. You'll shoot a lot more in practice than you will hunting, and having a reduced size, economical case for plinking would help.

Kernel

Get a .44 Mag. I'd suggest a Ruger Super Blackhawk "Hunter" if you can find one. You've got a .30-06 hand cannon for the big stuff, it's already more powerful than a .454 or .480. A .44 Mag is ideal for everything from Whitetail to Black Bear down to bunny wabbits and squirrels in .44 Spl. -- Kernel

stmcelroy

I guess I'll keep my eye out and see what I can find for a good price. I've seen some SRH in .44mag for $300-400 and in .454 or .480 for $400-500.

Probably being optimistic about the 150 yard range. More than likely will be close range. Just want to be prepared.

Thanks,
Steve Mc.

contender4040

reloading

The .480 is going to limit you on bullet choices for future reloading. A 44 or 45 calibre is currently more flexable.

WESHOOT2

IMNSHO

Based on your stated criteria you may be best served with the SuperRedhawk in 454 Casull.

You can also shoot 45 Colt-type loads.

Best caliber choice for your stated intentions. More available components, flatter trajectory than 480, better sectional density for elk and bear, GREAT .452" bullets available.

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
Other than "just wanting" another handgun (certainly a good enough reason), why not use your LE for the close stuff too?

It's not like you'll pass up a shot with the LE because it's too close .... ;)

That '06 in a handgun'll have more punch than any of those mentioned & if it'll do elk to 300 (it will), it'll sure do 'em at 100.

stmcelroy

labgrade,

You caught me, one reason is I just want another gun. If I'm getting one, may as well be able to hunt anything within reason with it...........

One other thing, don't really like the thought of having to reload the LE hanging out of a tree.......................

I'm also really into the fact that lots of people have .44's and not many I know have .454's. Gotta be different.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not the type of person to pay big bucks just to be different. If a great deal comes by on a .44 I'll buy it, in the same sense I'm not going to pay $600+ for a .454 or .480, always a bargain hunter.

Thanks,
Steve Mc.

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
"Caught you!?" It was evident in your initial post. Hope you're not married. ;)

Want has nothing to do with need - nothing. You want another = that's reason enough.

I've a .30 cal wildcat in a Contender, 2X8 scope that'll do elk to 300 yds - .308 power level, just about whatever I'd care to do with all the niche-stuff & still, there's always a "want" for "just one more" ....

Redlg155

Definitely the SRH .454 in my book.

A big plus is the ability to shoot the .45 Colt for comfortable practice and if you ever get in a pinch and for whatever reason can't reload, you can get .45 Colt or .454 Ammo relatively easy. I would hate to go on a plane trip somewhere only to find my ammo had been somehow lost in transit. Good ammo availability could just save a hunting trip.

Your resale value would be much better also with an easier to find caliber if you ever decide to sell.

Good Shooting
RED

Kaboom

You might want to give Magnum Research's BFR revolvers a look. The one I have in 45/70 works very well. Handload rounds for pleaseant shooting and some for knocking down anything alive.

Jim March

SRH in .454, but then I'd shoot mostly the stout "Ruger only" .45LC+Ps by Buffallo Bore and Cor-Bon. Buffallo Bore has a .45LC 325grain hardcast doing over 1,300fps from a 5" tube, which puts it slightly above .44Mag typical horsepower levels.

The SRH can use N-Frame .44Mag speedloaders for both the .45LC and .454 calibers :). There's no speedloaders for .480 yet. With Winchester Silvertips or other "personal defense grade" .45LCs, the SRH .454 can be pressed into defensive service and so do quite well.

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
Don't forget that if you reload, or are buds with someone who does, you can always download that '06 to a pretty fun light plinker. Using cast 170s in three different .30s & one of 'em that Contender.

A 170 at about 1300fps or so is like a .38 wadcutter after touching off full-bore 180s