Handgun Hunters Help, Please.

Alabaster Jones

I need to get help in choosing a hangun for hunting whitetails and possibly bear in VA. 75 yd max shots. I'm looking at the Raging Bull in .44 or .454, A Ruger Blackhawk(I think that's it. The Vaquero with adjustables.) the GLOCK 20 and the Witness 10.THe latter 2 not for bear, of course. I must say, I'm leaning toward the Raging Bull .44 after asking the guys at the handgun forum.

topstrap

You really asked a loaded question there... I think the calibers you are thinking about are perfect... but it'll be totally up to what feels best to you and what you can shoot the best. Each will feel different, each will recoil different and each will have it's own personality. Try them all or as many as you can beg, borrow or steal (oops, I didn't say that) and shot them with loads similiar to what you're going to be using hunting. I prefrer the Single Actions myself but most people say I do that just to be different but I find I shoot them better than a DA... just me though..

Good Luck

Topstrap

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I've shot a Raging Bull in .454 Casull, and the only drawback is the incredible noise: Painful. It's no harder to control than a Blackhawk in .44 Mag or .45 Colt when using hot loads in the latter.

I have a Blackhawk in .45 Colt, and a Redhawk in .44 Mag. I would not hesitate to use either for hunting, although my eyes pretty much preclude iron sights beyond 50 yards. I think the Redhawk is probably a bit better for hunting, but that's purely opinion.

Art

Alabaster Jones

I appreciate the help guys. I'll have to get to my gunshop and see if they have any in stock. Maybe someone has rentals at the range.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
If you try a .454, wear ear plugs inside your hearguards.

I think the reason they're a good anti-big-bear pistol is that even if you miss, the shock wave and sonic boom will have him doing backflips! :D

Art

Mad Max

I have used my Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag to take deer, and it was a blast. I got it used for $245, and it was worth every penny. It has a 10.5" barrel (which provides long sight radius), and rubber Hogue grips. I would recommend it over a regular Blackhawk because it is more stable and looks so much cooler. Unfluted cylinder, loooong bull barrel, black grips....sweet.

HankB

For me, single action pistols like the Rugers kick FAR worse than a DA pistol in the same caliber. That plowshare grip just doesn't suit me at all.

As far as the Taurus "Raging" revolvers go . . . the ones I've looked at seem pretty nice - Taurus has come a long way in the last 10 or 15 years - but IMHO the jury is still out on their durability.

FWIW, Ruger did a LOT of testing on their .454 Super Redhawk, and they decided that they had to go to a special high-strength steel for their .454's if they wanted them to last. I don't know if Taurus did the same . . .

Either the .44 or .454 with proper loads will take a deer as far away as you can place your shots properly.

Bwana Earl

Just need to talk about my choice, cause it brings me so much joy. Purchased a Ruger SB in 1969 new for $99 and a Lee Loader for $19. Have gone through a lot of 4227 since then. I got the factory transfer bar safety when they offered it, and when the peepers went south, a Leo 2X put me back on track. When whitetail hunting from a blind with a 30.06 or 300 Win mag, she is perched on a handy shelf. If a management doe comes within 75 yards, plug in the freezer and fire up the skillet! I have taken a couple of smaller bucks with it, but still haven't tried a trophy.
I know that some of the newer double actions or a Casull would have advantages, but it would be like committing adultry after she's brought me 30 plus years of pleasure. I will change if she dies, but it's more likely #2 son will have her on his stand the day after they scatter my ashes around the deer club.
Pass me those damn tissues, would you? That there campfire smoke is gitten in my eyes.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
HankB, a buddy of mine bought one of the first Raging Bulls. He brought it out for "playtime". He double-taps with hot 260-grain loads, IPSC-style, and easily centers the targets at 15 to 20 yards. The muzzle-vents really work! Had no trouble hitting my 18" square plate out at 185 yards. I guess he'd put a couple of hundred rounds through it before he got here...

The thing to remember is that one doesn't shoot hot hunting loads just all the time. You can download to "mere" .45 Colt, for instance, to work on trigger/sights control.

Art

HankB

Art, like I said, Taurus seems to have come a long way in the last 10 or 15 years. The one Raging Bull I looked at closely seemed pretty nice.

I agree with you 100% that one doesn't have to shoot full power loads all the time.

BUT . . . I remember reading that Freedom Arms quit selling loaded .454 ammo because they had a tendency to "max" it out, both pressure and velocity wise. THEIR revolvers could handle it, but others - Taurus was specifically mentioned - couldn't.

SUPPOSEDLY the factory .454 ammo available now has been downloaded a bit, just as .357 and .44 loadings have been reduced.

BTW, I don't vouch for the accuracy of the above regarding .454 ammo - just repeating what someone else wrote. (But it was from an Intenet forum, so it must be true, right? ;) )