Handgun effectiveness penetration

Master Blaster

Here is some interesting ballistic testing of a bulllet proof vest. Note the 9mm fmj has the best penetration, the two worst are .45 FMJ, and .38 special.

Body Armor to Put the Odds in YOUR
Level II Vest (5-YEARS-OLD) Shot from 18”
Front of Kevlar Vest (nylon cover removed)

Backside of the Kevlar Vest - ZERO Penetrations

Test Rounds Shot From 18”

Level II, 24 Layers of Kevlar - OVER 5 YEARS OLD

.38 Special +P Hollowpoint, ~950 fps (~290 mps) ...... ZERO Layers Penetrated

.45 Ball, ~900 fps (~274 mps) ........................................ ZERO Layers Penetrated

OO Buckshot, 3” Magnum, ~1200 fps (~366 mps) .... 4 Layers Penetrated
(from a 26” barrel, 18” from the vest!)

9 mm Hollowpoint, ~1100 fps (~335 mps) ................... 1 Layer Penetrated

9 mm Full Metal Jacket, ~1150 fps (~351 mps) ........... 12 Layers Penetrated (out of 24)

9 mm MagSafe, ~1950+ fps (~594 mps) ....................... 18 Layers Penetrated (out of 24)
Note: Level II vests are only rated up to 1175 fps with 9 mm!
(No Vest Penetration here, but Blunt Trauma probably greater than the 1.7” allowed)
http://www.bulletproofme.com/ballistic_testing_photos.shtml

FUD

This was a major part of the big debate between the 9mm VS 45ACP from 1980's. The 9mm has better penetration but the 45ACP has better knock down power and as a result, better overall stopping power. I would be interested in seeing how the .357SIG and the .40S&W did.
Share what you know, learn what you don't -- FUD
fud-nra.gif

Ron Ankeny

That's mighty interesting but I am not in the market to buy a vest and I don't plan on shooting anyone who is wearing one. Unless of course robbers, muggers and theives are now wearing body armour.

BTW, other than bank robbers in California, is criminal use of vests on the rise? Just curious.

Matt VDW

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>BTW, other than bank robbers in California, is criminal use of vests on the rise? Just curious.[/quote]

I don't have any statistics, but I'd say it is. Vests have become cheaper and more comfortable, so it's only natural that they're being used more.

Several years ago, there was a guy on a killing spree in central Ohio who wore an armored vest. When he kicked in the door of one of his intended victims and started shooting, the home owner shot him in center mass with a .45 ACP. The bad guy wasn't incapacitated, but apparently the discomfort was great enough that he turned tail and left.

Chris McDermott

I've always considered the penetrating power of the 9mm as something very UN-desirable. If I ever have to shoot someone, I want the bullet to stop in that person, not go through them, the wall behind them and hit someone else. If the bad guys are wearing body armor, start doing head shots.

Shawn Dodson

Different brand vests exhibit different characteristics. Beware of basing conclusions on tests involving a single vest brand and NIJ protection level.

P

PreserveFreedom

Wow this is an old thread! For a second I thought FUD was back.

I'd like to see 357 Magnum put through the same test.

lonegunman

I am confused by the message here...

None of the rounds penetrated all layers, right?

So if none get all the way through the armor, why does it matter how far they get into it? It still never makes it to the person wearing it.

What am I missing?