Handgun Collection Ideas?

SmokeyVol

I spend all my time working and the kids are finally grown and gone. My wife wants me to scale back my workaholic ways and spend some time on myself. She told me I needed to get a hobby and she would back me on anything I wanted to do. I used to hunt and shoot a lot years ago as a kid, but stopped when college and then famliy life came along. I went to a CWP class last fall and got my CWP permit and have joined an indoor range and an outdoor gun club along with a friend from the office.

I have had a Beretta 92FS for about 10 years, but have acquired the rest of my handgun collection over the past few months. I am trying to get a good variety of types and try to share some common ammunition. I am obviously partial to stainless finish pieces. This is what I have now:

Beretta 92FS Inox 9mm pistol
Ruger Mark III Bull Barrel Stainless .22 pistol
Colt Python 6" Stainless .357 Mag revolver
Ruger Single Six Stainless .22/.22 Mag revolver
Colt 1911 Gold Cup Trophy Stainless .45 auto
Kahr CW9 9mm auto (would like to upgrade to a Kahr K9 Stainless)

I was thinking maybe a small .357 revolver next or upgrading the Kahr.

Any suggestions for a couple more quality guns to fill out my collection?

nate45

Welcome to the forum

By looking at your collection, I'd say a nice Ruger New Model Blackhawk in .44 Mag or .45 Colt for something larger and maybe a Ruger SP101 .357.

Saab1911

Beretta 92FS Inox 9mm pistol
Ruger Mark III Bull Barrel Stainless .22 pistol
Colt Python 6" Stainless .357 Mag revolver
Ruger Single Six Stainless .22/.22 Mag revolver
Colt 1911 Gold Cup Trophy Stainless .45 auto
Kahr CW9 9mm auto (would like to upgrade to a Kahr K9 Stainless)

I have a few suggestions. I take it that you have disposable income.

Ed Brown Stainless Classic Custom 1911 to keep your Gold Cup company.
Sig Sauer P226 X-Five.
Smith & Wesson Model 620

And how about a few rifles with nice wood stocks?

Cheers,

Jae

Don Lu

I"d say go for a snubnose .357 mag..or...switch it way up and get some old war guns, like Makarov, Luger or Lahti pistol...I started getting in to older guns when I realized that not all my guns will be for self defense..some will just be to take to the range or to look at and have conversations about'em.

SmokeyVol

I already have a Marlin .22 rifle and a Winchester Model 12 shotgun, but that is another thread. I will deal with the long guns later.

I looked at several S&W and Ruger .357 revolvers today. There are just too many S&W models. None really floated my boat compared to my Colt Python. I briefly looked at a S&W Walther PPK and some small autos.

SergeantC

How about some Colt revolvers? Detective Special, Cobra, Official Police, Trooper, Lawman. Any would be a nice addition to your collection. And you could use the DS or the Cobra for CCW.

pogo2

Pre lock S&W snubby .357s

I think you should consider a stainless S&W .357 snubby revolver of the pre lock variety. These seem to be going up in value as they are considered more desirable than the current production guns with the integral lock. You can find them in the K and L frame sizes in the $400 to $600 range, in most cases. I am thinking of the models 65, 66, and 686. They are very nice guns for shooting, with good triggers. Here are pictures of a couple that I own:

SW66-337.jpg

SW66-440.jpg

wnycollector

A 3" .357 is pretty handy. Very easy to CCW, yet actually hit what you are aiming at;) Three possible choices are:
1) 3" S&W model 65
2) Ruger GP100
3) Ruger "Six" series, either a Speed or Security 2.75" barrel.

+ 1 of older com block autos.Tokarev in 7.62x25 or a Mak.

How about a SS convertable Ruger Blackhawk? .45 colt/.45acp? .357/9mm?

BillCA

I'm partial to S&W revolvers and don't apologize for it. Years ago most of my collection consisted of "Police Service" type revolvers with 2.5 to 6" barrels.
KFrames_1747Ma.jpg

I found that I like the 1911 a lot, but still have a love affair with the first 9mm pistol I purchased.
M39x4M_1571.jpg

S&W Model 39-2

If you don't reload, you might want to avoid the unusual or expensive calibers - 9x18, 10mm, .41 & .44 Mag, .357 Sig, etc.

I'd suggest a S&W stainless snubby might suit you. A 640 Centennial or a 649 bodyguard in .357 makes a good companion. The Airweight models are good if you have a carry permit and will carry it a lot.
M649_002.jpg

S&W 649 Bodyguard

B Hillen

A suggestion...

Well. nothing has floated my boat like the Colt Detective Special I purchased earlier this year. Beautiful blue snubbie. It just glows!

TimHock

Go for Colt

Since Colt no longer makes a DA revolver, these have become true collector items. Nothing compares to the fit and finish of a Colt revolver.

Harry Callahan

No serious collection is complete...

without at least one Browning Hi Power. Timeless. Also think about a S&W 586 or 686 .357. Although maybe not quite as pretty or sexy, it will give a Python a run for it's money for alot less scratch.

SmokeyVol

Thanks for all the suggestions. A S&W 65 / 66 / 686 with 3" / 4" barrel seems to fit the bill and would take the load and wear off my Python. I am looking for one now, but I just ordered a Kahr K9 to replace my CW9, so I might have to wait a few weeks to let the dust settle on my credit card. I looked briefly at a new S&W hammerless airlight, but they all look so unelagantly "hunchbacked" and I do not need a hammerless design.