Hand Press

mrawesome22

Hey guys. I am wanting a hand press to make loads while at the range doing load development.

My question is, is there anyone else out there making a hand press other than Lee? And if not, will the Lee be adequate?

mikld

Nuttin' wrong with a Lee hand press. I used one as my primary press for about a year until I got a dedicated place to reload. Lyman made a hand press that used special dies and can be found on ebay occationally. Huntington makes a compact tool that uses standard 7/8-14 dies, but a bit too much $$$ for me...

Last edited:

old roper

Nothing against the Lee Hand Press but being a press you have to change dies and if you had to make adjustment to those die could be little tricky. As the the Compac press mine came with a bracket so could be mounted or clamped to a table. I think the Lee be great if you had everything done but seating the bullets.

I use the Arbor set up like this from #2 to seating bullet and I use a K&M priming tool and I don't use a scale. I post this here couple days ago.
http://www.lapua.com/en/products/reloading/vihtavuori-reloading-data

hounddawg

The Lee works great for load development at the range. The new hand held one uses the breech lock system for die changing. I use a Lee single stage for my rifle rounds at home and the dies just plug in from one to the other with no adjustments needed. I do all my case preperation at home and carry 50 or 100 cleaned, sized and prime cases, powdwer dipper and trrickler, a pound of powder, scale, calipers and I am good to go.

One thing you want to make sure you take when you do range reloading is a small enclosure with a clear top big enough for your scale and your trickler to shield your scale from the wind. I use a powder dipper to get me in the ballpark, trickle a few grains, close the lid and wait for the scale to settle rinse and repeat necessary. Before I did that when the wind kicked up I was setting up my reloading station in the range bathroom or my car.

this originally was a Christmas present that contained tequila and a pair of shot glasses. But a bit of plywood and some plexiglass would do the same thing. Those are a few spilled grains of 4350 up in the left hand corner

Last edited:

mrawesome22

That is what I wanna do hounddog. I would like to size and reuse the exact same cases though. Is the Lee hand tool up to the task of fl sizing cases up to 30-06 with imperial wax without flexing?