Hand me downs

mfreem08

I have these 2 rifles my dad has given me. Question is, I know both are not in original configuration but are both solid 'deer rifles'. One is a Mod 98 and other is an Enfield. I tried to post just a few pics but they are all too big? How do I shrink them? Can anyone tell me what I really have & any kind of value?

With the right ammo, either of those can become game rifles, again with the right ammo. Military surplus FMJ/ball ammo is NOT a hunting bullet. NATO decided expanding ammunition was inhumane... When hunting you want to make sure to kill the animal as quickly as possible.
Neither have significant value to sell or collect.
Use an image hosting site like imgur or similar to resize the pics and post them.

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
NATO decided expanding ammunition was inhumane...

The decision to limit the military to FMJ ammo comes from the Hague Accords (Not the Geneva Convention as many believe) and was signed a good half CENTURY before NATO existed.

Depends on your definition of "significant". TO me, a couple hundred dollars is significant. And those rifles will bring that, possibly a bit more. No, they aren't in collectable condition but they aren't worthless, either.

Both have had their stocks chopped, and the useless (for hunting) wood removed (including the handguards). The Mauser has an aftermarket sights, the peep sight is Redfield or Lyman, probably. Original caliber would have been 8mm Mauser, and probably still is.

The Enfield is an SMLE and I think its a number 4 (No.4) which would be a WWII era gun. I'm not an expert on SMLE's, sorry. It would be a .303 British (SMLEs almost never get rechambered/rebarreled, there no point..)

Both rounds, with softpoint hunting ammo are quite adequate for all North American big game. As is, they are decent deer rifles, capable of putting venison in your freezer at any range you can make a good shot. Added plus as a "truck gun" where a few additional dings or scrapes won't seriously hurt what market value they have.

My personal opinion, either one is hands down a better deer gun than a Moisin Nagant. :D

mfreem08

As given by the stamps on the barrel and receiver, the Mauser is 1939 & Enfield 1943. They do both shoot their original calibers.
This is more the info I was looking for :
"Both have had their stocks chopped, and the useless (for hunting) wood removed (including the handguards). The Mauser has an aftermarket sights, the peep sight is Redfield or Lyman, probably. Original caliber would have been 8mm Mauser, and probably still is.

The Enfield is an SMLE and I think its a number 4 (No.4) which would be a WWII era gun. I'm not an expert on SMLE's, sorry. It would be a .303 British (SMLEs almost never get rechambered/rebarreled, there no point..)"

Not looking to sell but any ballpark on value?

44 AMP

Staff
Their value is only as working rifles in less than the most popular calibers.

Generally, collectors are only interested in rifles in their full original military configuration, and the market value of fully sporterized milsurps is long gone as well. Full custom jobs from expert smiths, with great wood, full reblue, custom metalwork, all quality work, not Bubba in his garage, don't bring anywhere near the value they once did. Those guns rarely bring $500 these days, and I've bought several in the last decade or so for $350-450 (with scopes) and your guns aren't worth that to the current buying market.

You might get $300 but I doubt it. People just don't want those guns anymore, unless they are going to use them for a hobby project, and if so, they certainly don't want to pay much for them. Essentially the market value of your hand me downs is the value of their actions. The peep sight on the mauser MIGHT be worth more than the rifle itself, to a special collector.

The market is weird that way.
If you're looking for a cash value, a couple hundred, or so, their value as a usable rifle is more than the cash they would bring in today's market. Their value as heirloom pieces is priceless.

Don Fischer

With the right ammo, either of those can become game rifles, again with the right ammo. Military surplus FMJ/ball ammo is NOT a hunting bullet. NATO decided expanding ammunition was inhumane... When hunting you want to make sure to kill the animal as quickly as possible.
Use an image hosting site like imgur or similar to resize the pics and post them.

I use imgur. Easy to down size them without downsizing them. There a deal in the lower right corner that let's you choose the size of the image you post. No edit required!