Hammerless S&W

pipoman

Is there any "down side" to the hammerless S&W revolvers? My wife will be carrying in her purse. Do hammer guns have a tendency to hang up on the hammer or is this nothing to be concerned with?

AirForceShooter

Hammer guns can get caught on clothing or snag the inside of a purse.
Having said that I still like a hammer since it allows me the option of shooting single action.

AFS

Little Silas

My wife carries a Model 642 and she can hit with it.
I carry a model 60 because I can't hit the side of a barn double action.

MADISON

My dad had an old 1887 S&W in 38 S&W [Not Special.
When I got to where I coooould rotate the cylinder and hold it t..h..e..r..e
there for an indefinate time, I could hit with it.

In the 80's[?] S&W came out with their CENTENIAL in hammerless. I am still mad because it was not a lemon squeezer.

JCM298

My seven year old 649, bought NIB, is the most accurate snub I've ever owned. I seldom use the SA, except when testing a new load or a new brand of factory ammo. It looks like a one-hump camel but it's an accurate gun.

I seldom carry it anymore because the weight of the "beast", my 340SC, has spoiled me. The 649 does not recoil nearly as much as the "beast".

John

#18indycolts

hammerless still have a strong trigger pull, so unless you're careless, it probably won't "accidentally" get caught and go off.

springmom

The hammer is a plus

If it's hammerless, then you are stuck with DAO and those triggers can be harder to pull than she might like. With the hammer, you can shoot SA and it is MUCH easier. (Thanking Sir William again for that bit of wisdom, LOL)

Springmom

BillCA

I have to admit that I like the Centennials more than I thought I would. But the gun I favor the most is a 1 year old Model 649 Bodyguard simply because I have a choice of SA shooting if necessary.

Either of the Centennial or Bodyguard series (and clones) will offer less chance of snagging the gun on something during the draw than one with a hammer. I've seen snubs come out of purses with a keyring dangling on the hammer and one with earrings. My favorite was a M-36 that we removed from a lady's purse -- cocked! :eek: She'd run into resistance pushing her wallet back in so she jammed it in and closed the purse. It'd been like that almost 3 days!

jduo03.jpg

Top: S&W Model 042 Centennial Airweight (transition) model .38 Special.
Bottom: S&W Model 649 Bodyguard .357 Magnum

Hayley

"Single action is of very limited value on a defensive gun"

Joe: I was just wondering about that, given that practice shooting in SA wouldn't improve one's accuracy if ever they needed to fire five rounds DA in an out of the blue emergency.

deadin

I don't know. I recently started to try to shoot in a DAO Revolver league and have found that DA, especially rapid fire, is a cat of a different color. If anything, my SA training slows me down. I've been trying to "catch" the pull just before let-off and then refine my sight picture before completing the shot. I need to practice, practice, practice a smooth, even pull while keeping the sights aligned. (more or less:D ) One nice thing, the target is a lot bigger for DA over SA.

Dean

GodblessAmerica

Lots of good posts here. My limited snubby experience (S&W Model 36) has shown exactly what I expected when I bought it. The weight and SA capability at the range are bonuses, the carry weight and loong DA trigger are negatives, and I snag the dern hammer more than half the time when I practice presentation from pocket carry. (Belt holster draw is excellent though). So, what I'm going to do is have my local gunsmith install a bobbed hammer (and keep original for originality purposes) and hopefully create the best of both worlds, similar to what S&W offers in other models, but at less cost:)

BillCA

Actually, if you don't mind modifying your gun a touch, there's an add-on accessory that will turn your .38 J-Frame or Colt D-Frame into a "bodyguard" style revolver.

The hammer shrouds (see attached) attach to your gun and keep the hammer from snagging. These are pretty good if you already have a snubbie with a hammer and want slick it up for carry. This $35 investment beats buying yet another gun if you're budget is tight.

See the on-line catalog at http://www.wallerandson.com/ if interested.
Note: Doesn't work on the new J-Magnum frames or S&W frames with a frame mounted firing pin.

Attachments

• hammer5a.jpg
    hammer5a.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 59

BillCA

SA vs. DA

Shooting a snubbie in Single Action mode is often enlightening.

You'll be surprised how accurate it can be when you do your part. If you use a hammerless snubbie because you think SA mode is worthless, that's fine. I'll stick with my "humpback" Bodyguard with the ability to use SA when desired, even though 99% of my shooting with snubs will be DA.

When firing a snubbie, you want your trigger pull to be smooth and consistent all the way through. If your gun has a heavy trigger at the start of movement - or it "stacks up" by getting heavier before letoff -- you might want to have a trigger job done. What you want is a combat trigger job done. This means not installing lighter springs but smoothing up the action to make it consistent while keeping it reliable.

Trying to "catch" or "index" the 5-shot J-frames like some folks do with the larger frame guns is more difficult due, in part, to the shorter action cycle for the smaller cylinder. When firing at "personal distances" of up to 12 yards or so, concentrate on putting the front sight on the target and squeezing smoothly, without jerking the hand or gun around. Also practice some one-hand "point shooting" (hip shooting) since some encounters will not allow you time to raise the gun to eye level.

bpisler

I can't remember the last time i shot any
of my revolvers single action.I carry 2
revolvers so shooting them single action
really doesn't do me much good.Now if i
used a revolver for hunting i would practice
single action shooting but i don't hunt.