Hammer Spur on a non-carry gun:wide or narrow?

croyance

For the most part, on semi-autos the hammer spurs are roughly the same width and length. Of course there are the commander type variations, but in general they are about the same.
On revolvers, I have seen some with extra-wide spurs while being shorter (and also off-set spurs). Gun magazine writers float the opinion that one is better than the other.
For single-action shooting, I can see it, since it must be easier to cock the hammer with one instead of the other. Of course for double action shooting it must be all the same.
I assume for concealed carry, neither is absolutely desireable and each has disadvantages.

So is one really better than the other on a non-concealed carry gun?

Malamute

I don't carry concealed, and I've been grinding my target hammers down to service size. The long target hammer spurs can hit the web of the hand in double action fire when firing several rounds, particularly in heavy calibers, when shot one handed, or when wearng gloves. I've not had any trouble reaching the service hammer on a Smith & Wesson when wanting to shoot it single action.