hammer not lining up with cylinder cutout

Bmanowske

Have you had the action disassembled? The indexing lever is out of sync, and needs to be timed! If you have a good gunsmith in your area, wood be the quickest, however you can send it to Taylors & Company atleast to have it adjusted. You could take it apart again and see if there might be a spent cap that might have fell into the workings! Good Luck!

Beagle333

Denster

On my Walker, it is, and in the '60 the cylinder feels good and locked too. It's not hitting the side, but I'm sure it should be more centered.

Beagle333

Bmanowske

I haven't disassembled it. I haven't taken any apart yet. I'm going to attempt to time my '51 because it's messing up the cylinder slot, but I'm still waiting on the tools to get here.

denster

Beagle

You're right the hammer should be centered in the slot or reasonably so. Since the cylinder is locked in that position you likely have some out of standard machined parts likely the cylinder. It is not a timing problem at all. What brand of pistols are these?

Beagle333

Well, that's easy enough to check. I never considered that. Let me bang the wedge out of a different '60 and try that cylinder.

Yes, it does it with 3 more Pietta cylinders. They all lock in good, but to the right of center of hammer. Left side, flush with hammer slot in frame and on right side, a little past the slot in frame. Can't measure it yet, caliper still in mail.

Last edited:

denster

Beagle

Well how about that. Does the bore line up with the cylinder chamber when the gun is cocked? Check by removing a nipple then with the cyinder installed cock the weapon and look down the barrel and see if they are alligned. If they are it really isn't a problem just looks bad and you have a frame that was miscast a bit.

Beagle333

I hope it does. I already shot about 400 balls thru it. I'll take it down again and look.

Yes, apparently, but we're talking about .020" or so, or half the gap in a spark plug. It might not be discernable from 8" down a barrel. Perhaps it is just a miscast. As long as the timing doesn't get off to that side, the hammer won't hit, it just isn't centered and looks odd.

Last edited: