Hammer Down

'88Scrat

Just out of curiosity how do you store your firearms? Hammer down or cocked on safe? I'm talking about a firearm truly in storage, not a nightstand/concealed carry setup.

Whether it be AR15, M1 Garand, Glock 19, CZ Scorpion, Yugo 59/66, or Remington 700 I've always stored hammer down. Years ago I had a gunsmith tell me it was better for longevity but I question how much difference it could make. That said, I still do it...

aarondhgraham

I'm not an engineer or metallurgist,,,
But I can't see any advantage in storing something with tension on it's springs.

JMHO

Aarond

'88Scrat

Just to be clear, in this context hammer down means trigger pulled with hammer in the uncocked position. Not sure I have the nomenclature correct but hopefully you get what I'm describing.

Sharkbite

When put “in storage” (vs ready to use), i dont make a big deal about what position the hammer is in. I dont think it make enough of a difference to be measured with regards to spring set.

When they are stored “ready to use”, i make sure long guns are Stored “cruiser ready”. Hammer down on an empty chamber, full mag tube or mag in place.

44 AMP

Staff
Modern guns, I don't think it matters much, other than as a matter of consistency on your part.

Older guns, pre-WWII and anything that uses flat, leaf springs should not be stored with tension on the spring. Ever.

Also, for long term storage, REMOVE THE LUBE!!!

A rust preventative meant for long term storage is good, but the regular lubricating oil is not. Over time (years) the liquid carrier dries out, leaving behind something more like shellac than oil. The effect on operation will vary with the gun and the amount of dried oil.

When my father passed, I went to his place and found his 1911A1 in his dresser drawer. The gun had not been touched in at least 10 years. Magazine loaded, chamber empty.
When I cleared the gun, and released the slide, it SLOOOOWLY crept closed and stopped about a half inch from fully shut. Thickened oil was the reason. the rounds in the mag (very light or no oil) worked normally.

His Model28 S&W was stored in the "gun closet" and also had not been touched in at least as long. It functioned 100% normally,

Just something to be aware of when you put the gun in long term storage.

Bill DeShivs

As someone who has made literally thousands of leaf springs, I can say that it doesn't matter-if the springs are properly made.
Of course, if you never cock your gun, the spring won't break, but leaving it cocked should do no harm.

44 AMP

Staff
The trouble with springs is, you don't know if they are improperly made, until they fail. And then, its a bit too late.

Not leaving them with tension on them for long periods of time just seems prudent to me, and so I was taught by my Grandfather, who grew up in an era when spring life was a matter of more concern than it is today.

It may not be necessary as it once was but I don't see how storing uncocked can hurt anything.

Ricekila

In the safe - unloaded --- hammer down --

On the night stand loaded - cocked & locked --- in the morning - one in the pipe taken out - hammer down --

Mike38

A rust preventative meant for long term storage is good, but the regular lubricating oil is not. Over time (years) the liquid carrier dries out, leaving behind something more like shellac than oil. The effect on operation will vary with the gun and the amount of dried oil.

100% true! One of my M1911 pistols, for what ever reason, got set aside and not touched for about 7 years. One day I noticed it laying there (maybe it called out my name) and I decided to get it out for a range session. I know when I put it away, it was clean and well oiled. When I looked it over after the 7 year idle time, it looked as if a brown wood varnish was applied to it and then dried. What a mess that was to clean. It cleaned up just fine regardless. My solution so that never happens again is to shoot more!

Bill DeShivs

It doesn't matter if an improperly made spring is stored in tension or not- It will break when you cock it.

Springs break because of use, not tension.
Imagine breaking a coat hanger by repeatedly bending it in the same spot.

Constantly loading/unloading your gun does more damage to the spring than just leaving it loaded/unloaded.

44 AMP

Staff
My Grandfather took pride in his Ithaca SxS because of the factory guarantee that the springs would never "take a set".

He bought it new (and made to his order) in 1909. I have a letter from Ithaca dated 1949 re-affirming the guarantee was still good. That gun has a 3 position safety which allows for holding the triggers back and closing the action without cocking the gun, so it can be stored uncocked and NEVER needs to be snapped. (a point my Grandfather was FIRM (and painfully so, :rolleyes:) about and made sure I fully understood.

That gun has been in my family for 111 years now, and never been dryfired (snapped) and always stored uncocked. It still works 100% flawlessly, though the finish has some wear.

Point is, it doesn't hurt anything to store guns uncocked.

And yes, springs wear from compression cycles not stored position, but old springs have, and could take a set and since that is so easy to avoid, its foolish not to.

5whiskey

The marine corps was big on this when I was in. Take your rifle to the armory bolt locked to the rear, and the armored would send the bolt home and pull the trigger to set the hammer. I don’t practice this anymore. I store firearms unloaded, on safe, cocked.

As anecdotal evidence, I collect milsurp firearms. Some have come straight from the importer. All of them were cocked when I got them, sitting that way likely for years, and none of them have had any issues igniting primers. I mean yeah it hurts nothing to store a firearm decocked, but it’s not my routine and I don’t think it matters.