Half frame or full frame???

Bozman

Hey Guys I am completely new to blackpowder handgus, I've shot a few muzzle loaders but thats it. I want to get a black powder handgun (something like a .36), But I'm not sure what to get yet. what would you guys recommend to someone new? Half frame or full frame? which to you find easier to clean/disassemble?

Thanks in advance!

Bozman

Steve499

Welcome to TFL, Bozman. I'm going to assume by half frame you are referring to the open top Colt design and full frame would be like the Remington design.

Both designs have a fan club but neither is a clear winner for me. I like both. The Colt is easier to clean.... until you start cleaning the internal parts. There are more screws to remove to access the inside. The Colt is handsomer to some and the 1851 navy style is often cited as the ideal revolver ergonomically. The Colt has a longer sight radius than the Remington given the same barrel length. The Colt requires some pretty precise tolerances to function correctly and so it's maybe more likely you'll get a bad one if the manufacturer's quality control is sub-standard. (or non-existant, like Palmetto's)

The Remington is sturdier due to the solid frame. It's internals are accessed by removing the grips and one screw in the floorplate/trigger guard. It lends itself easily to changing cylinders or to conversion for cartridges. It can be retro fitted with adjustable rear sights if that becomes necessary. Personally, I think the Remington is a shade easier to load due to a more generous cut out in the frame at the rammer. My Colt is small, however, and it's been some time since I loaded a standard framed one so my opinion is based on that small (pocket size) frame experience.

Both will probably have breakages from time to time, notably the hand spring and the trigger/bolt spring. They aren't a big deal to replace and it seems to me those things are just the price of doing business. Buy spare parts when you buy your revolver. I would choose a steel frame rather than a brass frame. Some brass framed revolvers are going strong after years of use but some have worn out due to the softer metal in the frame. Steel framed revolvers don't seem to ever have the problems reported by some of the owners of brass framed ones.

Choosing a manufacturer for your revolver is probably more important than choosing which design you want. I'm sure several other members will chime in on this but I have experience with Uberti, Pietta and Palmetto. My Uberti is better in overall fit and finish. My Pietta will outshoot my Uberti, though, and the difference in the finish is of no consequence when you're looking at a one hole, six shot group! Palmetto? I never saw such a piece of junk. Had to return it and will never spend money on another one!

Just jump in and buy one. It won't really matter which design you pick since I'm betting you will be buying the other one soon thereafter.

Steve

Bozman

Thanks! Anybody have any good recommendations for a .36 BP revolver? I'm not looking to spend alot of money right now. (i'd like to keep the gun around $200 or less if possible)

Bozman

Weird Guy

I would buy the Remington 1858 Army. Yes, it is a .44, but you can load the pistol with less powder if you want a lighter recoil. Less than full loads also usually get you more accuracy as well. The Remington is designed to have a quick change cylinder, so a conversion cylinder for cartriges (about another $200 for one, and no government paperwork required) is simple. Drop the ramming lever, pull the cylinder pin forward, drop out the cylinder, put a new cylinder in, push in the cylinder pin, and pop the loading lever back up.

If you really do want a .36, then get the 1851 Navy. Be aware that the 1851 also comes in .44, so check to make sure you get the right one. These are disassembled by using a hammer and a punch to push out a wedge on the pistol, something you will do often for cleaning.

Cabela's website sells the Remington 1858 with starter pack for $220. I suggest the starter pack because you will need all the things inside it. After that you just buy a bottle of triple F blackpowder, and some caps. Caps are size 10 or 11...get both to see which works better on your pistol. They sell the the 1851 Navy for $210 with a starter kit.

p006195hz05.jpg

p006189hz03a.jpg

Easy E

I'm partial to the Colts

Each time I think it's time to get a Remington, I start looking and end up with another Colt variation.

tatso7

I have two remingtons and one colt all in .44. One remington is a case hardened version from cabelas in which i installed a kirst cartridge conveter with loading port and use a remington 45 LC cartridge. It s so accurate I can get a good 2 inch group in 50 yards.
I used 30 grains pyrodex pellets on my colt, a lot less messy compared with fffg blackpowder, with good grouping at 25 yards but somewhat unpredictable at 50 yards. I even take this revolvers in the woods when i go bowhunting as a bush guns. The best thing is everytime i take this revolvers to the range other shooters starts converging on me and start asking question they cant believe how accurate this guns are.

God forgives fools and I'm one of the forgiven. As a young adult (amazing that I survived that too :p ) I'd load my Ruger Old Army up to the mouth of the cylinder with blackpowder and compress a foil ball over the powder. I wasn't (and still not) very bright and wanted a flamethrower. It'd put out a 6 foot flame and I'm still alive, with both hands and both eyes (and hair on my head) intact. God forgives us fools and I love my Ruger.