Hakim

CLC

Could you fine gentleman in C&R land please school me on the Hakim? Ive been wanting one for a long time now and had a chance to pick one up from my local fun shop for what I thought was a decent price ($600). It looks in excellent shape and has a mirror bright bore. My good friend has one so im not completely knew I just would like some fresh info. Another AR can wait for another day I guess :D.

Willie Sutton

Not a bad rifle... as I am sure you know it's a license built Swedish AG-42, one of the postwar "full size cartridge" battle rifles in the pre-plastic era. Contemporary would have been the (excellent) FN-49, etc. It's a unique rifle, cocked by pushing the dust cover *forward* and then retracting it to retract the bolt. Quality seems good, they were very common about, oh... 15 years ago. The Rashad was a carbine sized version in 7.62x39, never made anywhere else AFAIK. As a collector of full sized cartridge battle rifles, I consider mine to be an important part of my collection.

Enjoy yours, they shoot well and have some interesting features. Among them is the fact that the AG-42 was really the technical father of the Stoner system of direct gas impingement on the bolt carrier, a-la the AR-15 series. It's really the great-great grandpa of the M-16 from a system standpoint.

Every real martial rifle collection needs the folllowing sub-collection:

Garand
G-41/43
SVT-38/SVT-40
AG-42 (in the form of a Hakim)
FN-49

Being the all-wood classics of full size cartridge rifle design.
Yeah... add in a M1A too.... ;)

Just one collectors opinion, worth about what you paid for it... :eek:

Willie

Last edited:

CLC

HAHA I like your style. What war/wars was the Hakim issued in and with what kit? I don't understand Arabic all that well :p or have the gun in front of me. is there a way to tell arsenals or dates ......etc.?
The Rashad was a carbine sized version in 7.62x39, never made anywhere else AFAIK.
I do believe Iraq made some.

Last edited:

Willie Sutton

My guess is that they were carried in garrison and training, and dropped only twice: Once in the 6 Day War and once in the Yom Kippur War. Egypt is not known for doing much of anything with it's military, other than terrorizing it's own folks and losing to the Israeli's now and then. Nobody else ever used them.

As for the Swedes: They never fought with them either. Heck, they don't fight anyone: They sat out WW-II, selling steel and ball bearings to anyone who wanted them and could pay cash.

I will have to check about Iraqi Rashads, but I have never seen anything mentioned about them before.

AFAIK, they were all made in one spot, on tooling purchased from Sweden after the design had been rendered obsolete there. This category of wood stocked battle rifle was already obsolete even as they were being made. Production in Egypt was definately a third-world choice. Caliber was selected so as to use up the huge stocks of WW-II surplus ammo that was available for nearly free. If I remember right, production started in 1955, making it the last all-wood battle rifle to have a production line started.

Serial numbers are in Arabic, many have electric pencil translations added for the rest of us. Dates are also stamped on the receivers. Chart attached for translation.

Figure out how to strip the thing yet? Cocked and Closed, Safety halfway between fire and safe, push the cover forward a bit, lift up the safety and remove, and the cover and bolt come out of the back. Easy as pie.

Willie

Attachments

• 2007481022_Farsi_Numbers.jpg
    2007481022_Farsi_Numbers.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

egor20

Hiya WS and CLC.

The Rashad was a carbine sized version in 7.62x39, never made anywhere else AFAIK.

Are you thinking of the Rasheed carbine, rather than Rashad?

12565d1218848248-egyptian-rasheed-carbine-rashid.jpg

Kinda looks a little like an SKS if your near sighted.

http://world.guns.ru/rifle/autoloading-rifles/eg/rasheed-e.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasheed_Carbine

Willie Sutton

Yes, just mis-spelled.

Never bought one, they didn't fit into any niche of my collection. Look like a quality piece though. Have handled several.

Willie

James K

Member In Memoriam
IIRC, the serial numbers on those guns are in Arabic, not Farsi; as the chart shows, they are not quite the same. And Farsi is not Arabic, though it is written in the Arabic alphabet.

Jim

Willie Sutton

Quite correct, and the Hakim is in Arabic numbers as you say. The JPEG is titlled "farsi" but is really a comparison of all three systems (ours, Farsi, and Arabic)

The interesting thing is that OUR standard alphabet is properly called "Arabic" (as opposed to Cyrillic), so go figure....

Willie

gyvel

To the OP:

You say you have handled you friend's Hakim, so I assume you have also shot it.

If not, be prepared to get your face slapped by the gas coming back through the tube. Kinda feels like getting hit in the face with a hot meringue pie.:D Be sure you have your shooting glasses on.

Also, shoot it in a clearing, as the brass is usually thrown 237 1/2 feet or so forward and to the right of the gun.:D

gyvel

The interesting thing is that OUR standard alphabet is properly called "Arabic" (as opposed to Cyrillic), so go figure....

A minor corrrection, Willie: Our alphabet is based on Roman or Latin letters, and usually it is referred to as the "Roman alphabet."

I think what you are thinking of is our numbers. Our numbers are called "Arabic numerals" as there are substantial similarities between the original Arabic numbers and ours.

doofus47

I liked my Hakim bunches. it was very solid, shot straight and had little recoil--I think this was mostly due to the weight of the rifle more than the built-in muzzle brake.
+1 to the recommendation to wear shooting glasses.
I'd also recommend that you wear both plugs and muffs, b/c the Hakim's brake makes the shooting very loud.

There's a gas adjustment tool that people sell on gunbroker that helps when you change ammo sources. Don't shoot Turkish 8mm.

I think that $600 is a bit steep.

CLC

I do see now $600 is a bit off but I've been wanting one for more than 5yrs and couldn't bring myself to plop the money down at a gunshow. This is the problem with going to a gun store that does layaways Haha. Anyway, anyone have a idea where I can find photos of egyptians carrying Hakims? I can't seem to find much.

Cheapshooter

The Hakim is a great shooter, and a really fun gun to have. Their unique look garners lots of attention at the range. $600 sounds a bit high, but if you have wanted one for five years, go for it. I missed out when they were a hundred bucks, but finally got one in a trade about 10 years ago.

Willie, you seem to know a great deal about them. Do you know of a source for parts that would have the gas adjustment screw stop washer, or what ever it is called. Mine is missing, and the adjustment screw is easily turned by hand. I actually have it screwed in all the way, and on the surplus ammo I have it runs just fine. I'd just like to have it in case it ever needs fine tuning.

James K

Member In Memoriam
If we are getting technical on numbering systems, our numbers are derived from Hindu, not Arabic. I wonder how far we could have advanced (assuming we have) using Roman numbers and without positional notation.

http://www.archimedes-lab.org/numeral.html

Just to keep on the gun topic, Thompson SMG magazines are designated XX, XXX, L, and C. In case you missed it, that is the capacity in Roman numbers, 20, 30, 50, and 100.

Jim

gyvel

If we are getting technical on numbering systems, our numbers are derived from Hindu, not Arabic. I wonder how far we could have advanced (assuming we have) using Roman numbers and without positional notation.

That's true; In common parlance we refer to them as "arabic numerals," but actually they are more correctly referred to as "Hindu-Arabic Numerals."

amx4080

I think that $600 is a bit steep.

Yes, $600 is high given that the average sales price for on-line that I've been tracking (data here) is bouncing around $450-$460. The average asking price is higher, but I have seen higher priced Hakims re-listed many times and not selling.

jsmaye

I wonder how far we could have advanced (assuming we have) using Roman numbers and without positional notation.

Not very - in Roman numerals there is no 'zero'; in fact the concept of 'zero' is more recent than most people realize.