Haha, Clever Ruse

rickyrick

Really I’m not bashing any business.

I was purchasing extra fitness equipment as I have been focusing on getting physically fit again. Was not a cheap purchase anyway.

While shopping, I quickly passed by a display of gun care products and a thought flashed in my head that a fresh bottle of good old fashioned CLP would be handy. Free hand sped out and snatched a bottle off of the display. Paid at the register and being in the Pacific Northwest, I passed on a single use plastic bag and opted to cart everything out to the Jeep. Loaded up and went home.

Later on after trying stuff out I remembered that there was the bottle of oil out in the vehicle. I kinda gulped when I saw the sticker, haha.
Clever marketing to make it look like a bottle of CLP... which I guess it is CLP... just not the same CLP my ever aging butt was expecting

90c273a3cd190be6887f3993204f4648.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickyrick

I just never expected that gun oil could cost so much, $17.99 for any kind of gun oil was beyond any estimation that I had in my mind; fancy lube or not. A bottle of oil last me a really long time. The last time I ever bought CLP, Younger Bush was in office. I still don’t know what SPEC1 means, apparently that word is worth about $13 dollars on its own.
I just thought it was funny that somehow I slept through an entire gun-lube revolution.
I’m not mad or complaining about any product or retailer. I was fooled by myself. I thought it was funny.
I see now that it is normal. I buy Hoppes NO9 for cleaning on a fairly regular basis, just not gun oil.
I’m fortunate, I ain’t rich, but I don’t hurt for money. Times have change tho.

Sharkbite

Go buy a bottle of Mobil 1 synthetic and use it for the rest of your life.

Yes motor oil works very well on firearms. Its cheap and lasts forever.

rickyrick

I usually have products around that suffice as gun lube.

My last bottle of CLP was probably purchased at K-mart lol.

J.G. Terry

Mobile #1 Synthetic Grease

A friend of mine shared about miracle lubes. He was going to use some miracle lube on his Garand's. A shooting buddy pointed out that he was paying serious money for Mobile #1 Synthetic Grease. Tried some out. That ended any quest for grease type gun lubes here. I also use the Mobile Synthetic Oil. One tube and one bottle will only last about twenty years. I'd hate to know how much money I have spent on dandified kerosene with fancy gun stuff labels. :mad:

reynolds357

Go buy a bottle of Mobil 1 synthetic and use it for the rest of your life.

Yes motor oil works very well on firearms. Its cheap and lasts forever.
While M1 is great oil, it is legally a synthetic, but imo its not a true synthetic anymore. Buy pennzoil synthetic for your gun. Its a true synthetic.

gwpercle

The price was clearly marked....they will stick you on those special gun oils and lubes .
Watch out for Lucas Gun Oil , 2 ozs , $5.50 I swear it looks feels smells and works just like their Lucas Semi-Synthetic ATF (10052-1) which sells for $7.99 for 16 ozs...next time I'll just buy the quart of Lucas ATF and refill the little 2 0z. bottle eight times...what a savings that would be ... cost would be only $1.00 per bottle !
Gary

reynolds357

The price was clearly marked....they will stick you on those special gun oils and lubes .
Watch out for Lucas Gun Oil , 2 ozs , $5.50 I swear it looks feels smells and works just like their Lucas Semi-Synthetic ATF (10052-1) which sells for $7.99 for 16 ozs...next time I'll just buy the quart of Lucas ATF and refill the little 2 0z. bottle eight times...what a savings that would be ... cost would be only $1.00 per bottle !
Gary
It would surprise me if its ATF. ATF is great at cleaning and cooling but not good at eliminating friction. Its designed to stop the bands from slipping. Its really an extremely poor lubricant, but it can be used as a lubricant in certain applications.

dfwkid

The best synthetic oil is Pennzoil Platinum made from natural gas. Should also lower your carbon footprint (lol).