Had to tear down my reloading bench last week...

I went to do some laundry and discovered that my water heater had sprung a leak.

The only way to get the water heater out of its hole and put the new one in was to tear down my reloading bench.

Sigh.

In reality, it wasn't much of a reloading bench, more like a reloading table. I've had plans to build a much bigger bench and work area when I move one of the walls in the basement. Now that the drywall is soak on that wall, that should be motivation to move it all that much faster.

It's going to be fun planning out the new reloading area!

I'm not sure if condolences or congratulations are in order. I've hand-trucked two new water heaters down the basement stairs in the last 22 years since we built the house. They just don't go forever. The only leaker, though, was a water softener that popped a seal and sprayed down a shelving set.

A little from column A, a little from column B, really.

My reloading area was quite cramped because of the layout of my basement utility room (and the amount of stuff in it).

Moving the wall (it forms a "treadmill cubby" in the main, finished part of the basement) will REALLY increase the amount of space I have in the utility room.

I also discovered that the top of my bench, which was a slab cutting board that was on an old console dishwasher, was splitting down the center and would have crapped out sooner rather than later from the pressure of resizing cases.

Hey, I do have a picture!

41902404.jpg

As you can see, pretty cramped, but it's served me well for these past 10 years or so.

Reloader2

My loading bench isn't any bigger than that. I've been at it for 22 years and still haven't expanded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nick_C_S

My load bench - or table - was built in 1984. The top is the size of 1/3 sheet of 8X4 plywood. Built like a tank. I'm absolutely certain it could support a Chevy Suburban. But I digress. Point is, my load bench is only 8.4 square feet of top surface area, and it's suited me quite well for over three decades. And it's portable.

Reloadron

On the bright side if a hot water heater (or anything water) is going to fail and spring a leak it is best it does it when we are home and around to catch it, not a day after we leave on a 3 week vacation. :)

Ron

FrankenMauser

Don't forget to include lighting in the new plan.
Good lighting makes all the difference.

On the bright side if a hot water heater (or anything water) is going to fail and spring a leak it is best it does it when we are home and around to catch it, not a day after we leave on a 3 week vacation.
Yep.
Been there - on both sides.
Catching a leaking water heater after an 18+ hour day was better than the washer hose that blew while we were gone for two weeks. :(

Yeah, I discovered it less than 12 hours before I was heading out for the holidays for a long weekend.

I've always reloaded in very small footprint areas, but I've always wanted a bench that would not only serve as a loading area but as a general purpose workbench as well, so I plan on going pretty big.

As for lighting, yep, I've got that all planned out.

TimW77

"...if a hot water heater..."

Reloadron, you do NOT need a heater for hot water...:D

Silly, read the OP, he's NOT heating steam...:rolleyes:

T.

Last edited:

F. Guffey

Mike, my wall is at least three foot away and that is for the length of the wall and with all of that; no reloading bench, I use stands. To replace the hot water heater I would have to move a big 10 South Bend lathe, to move the lathe I would have to move etc. etc..

F. Guffey

weaselfire

I went to do some laundry and discovered that my water heater had sprung a leak.

The only way to get the water heater out of its hole and put the new one in was to tear down my reloading bench.

Sigh.

In reality, it wasn't much of a reloading bench, more like a reloading table. I've had plans to build a much bigger bench and work area when I move one of the walls in the basement. Now that the drywall is soak on that wall, that should be motivation to move it all that much faster.

It's going to be fun planning out the new reloading area!

This time, plan it with access to appliances that may need repairs or replacement.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk