Had to buy a newer S&W for a change

Winchester_73

I went on a FFL / gun expedition Saturday. Headed north in my state in search of treasure and came up with very little. The first shop I stopped at had this nice 617 no dash. Its pre lock, with target hammer, target trigger and S&W combat grips. When the day turned up nothing, I went back for this gun. I have not fired it yet.

SN - BNY42XX

GEDC0006-2.jpg

GEDC0010-2.jpg

I know many of you don't care for SS guns, but depending on the gun, they can be nice. Here a few of my other SS guns.

GEDC0011.jpg

Last edited:

CajunBass

I don't think Smith & Wesson's guns across the board are anywhere near as bad as we hear about on the 'net. I suspect they turned out their share of clunkers in the day, but those have all gotten fixed or destroyed over the years. I've even owned a couple of their guns with the locks and didn't mind that at all. Like you, I suppose I like the older guns better, but I won't turn my nose up at the more recent ones.

Nice looking 617 you got there. Enjoy it.

I'm warning up to stainless guns.

FM12

You could have done a LOT worse!
Love me some Smith and Wesson revovs. Stainless or otherwise, but esp stainless!

Winchester_73

Thanks guys. I like it too. I like older deep blue and sometimes bright nickel but despite the SS, at least its a durable finish and a quality gun.

That has to be the longest slide I've ever seen on a 1911...by far. What is it, 7 or 8 inches?

Yes its an AMT hardballer 1911 45 acp long slide. It has a 7in barrel. You may have seen on before....in a movie....

600px-TERMSE_SIDEA-5.jpg

600px-TERMSE_SIDEA-22.jpg

pete2

I like blue guns, especially S&W revolvers but if you're gonna shoot IDPA or otherwise be drawing from a holster the SS gun will hold up a
lot better than a blue one. I mean A LOT. I have a 586 that looked new when I started using it for IDPA, use a Kydex holster, if I had it to do over I'd at least get a lined holster for it. Now it has a lot of "character", still shoots as good as ever.

Venom1956

Solid and great pre-lock. Sometimes when your looking for certain else you stumble across something just as special in its own way. No dash 617 is a great gun!