Had to bag the Sig GSR

RsqVet

The bad news:

I finally had to bag the GSR I purchased about 12 weeks ago, it has already been back to Sig once because of problems with the series 80 system in the first couple weeks it had it, then had to get a new mag for it because one of the factory mags cracked at teh feed lip, then this past week the plunger tube came loose --- very lose.

True I suppose I could have sent it back again but I'm sorry it's supposed to be a defensive gun and with this number of problems in the first few months with anout 1800 rounds downrange what the heck else is going to fail on it in the next year? I'm not very pleased and it would appear that Sig still has a long way to go on the 1911 learning curve.

The Good News;

Got an Ed Brown 1911 and has been flawless so far, about 890 downrange and not a single problem even when very dirty. Not to mention that it's a commander sized gun and is more accurate the the previous full size GSR though the GSR was quite good.

Oh well lesson learned, I like the Kobra so much I may order one of their new specal forces pistols for a full size 1911

glocker1911

Since you just say GSR, do you mean the "original" railed version, or one of the new Revolutions?

BTW, my interest in the matter is that I own a Revolution and mine has been the best (of Many) 1911 I've ever owned. What type of series 80 FPS probles did you experience? And I'm not worried about the mags because the first thing I did was get rid of the junk Novak/Act mags because of too many reports of the feed lips cracking (imagine that). and use my Wilson and Powermags. Sorry you've had problems. My Revolution is a keeper. Good luck.

RsqVet

Mine was the revolution with the rail --- It's offered both ways still.

The problem with the series 80 lever had to do with it being about 1mm too tall above the frame so it dinged and finaly bound on the slide during re-assmebly after I had owned it for about a week, I suspect there were burrs or chips in the series 80 slot becuse it felt a litlte gritty in the trigger after shooting it and it looked that way when it was field striped after it bound up in additon to leaving some marks inside the slide.

I agree that the GSR has potential as a product, A well made 1911 with no MIM parts made from a collection of off the shelf top end parts at about 1k would be a great gun, for me the plunger tube was the last straw, especcally considering that the GSR tube is in a milled slot so it has extra support. What will it be next week? what lurks within that will fail at a critical time?? If sig can get their act together I would think that the GSR could be a market leader for all the no MIM folks at a price point equal to similar Kimber products.

The GSR was tight and did shoot well about the same as my Sig 220, It sure sold me on the 1911, Seeing and shooting the Ed Brown has sold me on Brown, I will likely get one of his new specal forces pistols as well to have a full size 1911 for training, I personally found that the 1911 for me was about 20% better ergonomics and performence than others I have tired or owned while the Brown is probibly 15% above that --- the accuracy out of a commander size gun it amazing.