Had my first bump fire

rebs

S&W sport ar 15 rifle.
I was at the range today and my sport fired twice with only 1 trigger pull. Very fast bang bang 2 shots. I checked the primers on the fired cases and the primers were all seated perfect, no high primer. I shot another 30 rounds with no problems. The load was 25.3 gr of H335, lake city brass, 55 gr Hornady soft point.
Does anyone know what else could cause a pump fire ?

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Some sort of stickiness in the bolt/firing pin assembly? Or, some sort of problem with the disconnect that lets the hammer follow.

Some 30 years back I had a similar problem with an M1A. Replaced the trigger group and then no more problem.

Mobuck

Poor trigger control.
The AR demands proper trigger management to prevent "bump fire". The lighter the trigger pull, the more careful the user must be.

rickyrick

Started happening with my FAL, initially I thought it was a bump fire,(wobbly table and .308) turns out it need a new trigger set.

Mosin-Marauder

It's a possibility that something jammed against the firing pin or gummed it up causing it to slam fire twice, and the rapid cycle of the bolt may have loosened or dislodged whatever it was.

It also could have been a disconnector/trigger pack issue.

If you had fired a lot of rounds, it's is possible that you cooked off a round, but I really doubt it.

rebs

The gun was clean when I went to the range, the bump fired occured after about 30 rounds. The trigger is a rock river arms 2 stage. Which has been flawless up til this happened. This trigger has about 2000 rounds on it.
I did shoot another 30 rounds with no problem.

DaleA

I've done it (bump fired) rifles a couple times NOT on purpose. Both times it was during manufacturers range days when they were showing off their products and every time they attributed it to my trigger control. And I believe them. Each time I was really slowly squeezing the trigger trying to get the best shot possible like I was shooting a .22 bolt target rifle.

It was embarrassing. Once again though I believe the factory reps when they said it was my fault, i.e. my trigger control.

Chainsaw.

Seen it a few times. Usually with newer, slightly more timid users. Perhaps as mentioned above ^^ could be going easy on the trigger, finger is just barley back from the break,,gun recoils setting the trigger back which just grabs the reset, gun bounces forward again due to a bag of meat behind it, hits the trigger again. All in a flash.

rebs

I have had this rifle for a few years and never had it happen before so I doubt it is my trigger control
I fired another 75 rounds today and not a problem. I guess it was just a fluke

chris in va

I did this with my Garand a couple times. If the trigger isn't held back every shot it will double fire quite easily. I suspect this happened to you.

rebs

I guess it is possible I did something different with the trigger when I shot it, I don't know. I am shooting it to see if it happens again.

Jeff H

I guess it is possible I did something different with the trigger when I shot it, I don't know. I am shooting it to see if it happens again.

I have one AR that does the same thing intermittently. I suspect a weak disconnector spring. Either way, it has been taken out of service until I replace the suspect trigger parts.

NYPD13

I had this issue twice with my Cetme during the great ammo shortage. Reloads using properly seated standard #200 primers instead of harder NATO #34 appear to have been the culprit. Both a two and three round burst occurred from those 100 rounds. Hasn't happened since I was able to get the proper mil spec primers. Just food for thought with non captive firing pins, if you find slight dimples in unfired yet chambered rounds, then this is within the realm of possibility.

rebs

when it happened I was bench resting and it didn't bump off my shoulder. I am guessing it was just a fluke til it happens again, if it ever does.