H110 or IMR4227

LOLBELL

Which do you prefer for the 44mag and why? I have not loaded any heavy loads for this caliber yet. I would like to work up a load for whitetail hunting using Hornady 240gr XTP's. To date all I have loaded for the 44 is some light plinking loads. I will be shooting these in a Super Blackhawk Hunter Bisley.

Sevens

I have IMR-4227 on hand but I don't have any H110.

For .44 Mag, I would personally choose neither. I would skip IMR-4227 because you really won't get the velocity from it that you can get from magnum pistol powders. But sure, it'll work if you have it.

I would skip H110 because it's not a flexible powder and it cannot be safely reduced. Also, I prefer to not need any magnum primers in my cache, and H110 tends to work better with them.

With that said, if you don't need reduced loads and you don't mind a magnum primer or have them on hand, you'd be hard pressed to beat H110.

Me? I'd likely use Alliant 2400. Not as much speed as H110, but more flexible.

Jim243

What Sevens said. I don't do 44 mag, but for 357 mag you get excelent results with 2400 powder.

Jim

LOLBELL

At my local gun shop I am pretty much limited to IMR or Hodgdon powders. I may need to take a road trip to a near by shop and get some 2400 to try.:eek:

m&p45acp10+1

I have no experince with .44 mag. I do load for .41 mag. I have used H-110, Alliant 2400, IMR 4227, and Acurate #9. My prefed powder is the AA#9. It is more flexable with loads. I can use it with jacketed, plated, and my home cast lead (non gas checked). It gives good consistant results, meters well, and is very clean.
For flat out big boom, bright flash, and scorching velocity H-110 is at the top. Acurate #9 will come close in velocity, with less flash, and is cleaner.

GP100man

H-110 for bullets under 250 grs. , too spiky for the heavies in 44 or too narrow a window it`ll work in.

IMR 4227 is alot easier to work with pressure wise with the heavies & 4227 is`nt as snappy with recoil either .

4227 won`t give top FPS , but a good solid performer !!!

slammedsi

I'm loving my 300gr jhp over 20grs of h110. Makes for a GREAT pig rounds.but you better hang on. Feels similar to riding that big bronc out of the gates.

AlaskaMike

One of my favorite powders is H110 (actually I have it in W296 form). Not being able to use it in reduced loads is irrelevant for me because I'll use Power Pistol or 231 for my reduced loads. While I like 2400 and IMR-4227, H110/296 is my go-to powder for full power .44 mag loads, hands down.

GP100man, I'm surprised that you've found it spiky with heavier bullets. I've had great success using it with 300+ grain cast and jacketed bullets, both in my revolvers and my Rossi 92 carbine.

As much as I like H110/296, I do also like IMR-4227 very much. While you don't get the velocity with it that you do with the other slow burners, it is awesome in the accuracy department.

TXGunNut

2400 and 44 mag? A match made in...brass (and steel). H110/WW296 sounds good too but I haven't tried it, probably will soon.

GP100man

Alaska Mike

I loaded the lee 310 rnfp up in .2gr increments to a point that muzzle blast & recoil was twice as ferocious as the load .2grs. lower & the brass was stiky in the cyl .

Over the week end I`ll see ifin I can dig up the notes on that loading .

Wish I had a chronograph back then !!!!!