H&R top break

TailGator

I need to learn about H&R top break revolvers to help out a friend. He found one in a box of painting supplies while cleaning out the house of a deceased relative.

It is marked with the company name, Worcester Mass USA, and four patents:
Oct 4 1887, Aug 6 1889, April 2 1895, April 7 1896. It appears to be a .32, but the pistol is not so marked, making me wonder if it is one of the older ones that was made for black powder cartridges. He could not locate a serial number.

I won't get my hands on the gun until after work today or tomorrow, so the only picture I have so far is attached, admittedly not great.

Any knowledge that you have to get me started will be much appreciated.
imagejpeg_0_zpsvspqz8dg.jpg

ScaryWoody

H&R made a top break, 32 S&W (short) 5 shot. The plastic "target" on the grip validates the H&R. The cartridge marking should be on the left side of the barrel.
Most in working condition value at approx $125-$150.00, if pristine condition, approx. $200-$225.00

James K

Member In Memoriam
TailGator is correct about the lack of a caliber marking being indicative of agun made for black powder cartridges. When H&R strengthened their revolvers for smokeless powder c. 1905, they began to mark the caliber on the barrel.

If the serial number is not on the butt, it will be on the left side of the frame under the left grip. Be careful in removing the grip, though; those old hard rubber grips become very brittle with age.

Jim

TailGator

My buddy is supposed to bring it over this evening. We will do a little gentle cleaning and lube, and I'll see then whether he missed the caliber marking. Thanks for the info, fellas. It will be interesting for me to get my hands on an unfamiliar hand gun.

Last edited:

TailGator

I looked the gun over last evening. The rifling is not sharp, but timing and lockup are good. I am confused about what model this gun is, and whether it can handle smokeless ammo. On the one hand, the barrel is definitely not marked with the intended caliber. On the other, it is an automatic ejector and has the look and feel of a more modern gun.

The serial number was, indeed, under the left grip: 26192.

The patent line reads "Pat. Oct 4, '87, May 14 & Aug. 6, '89, April 2 '95, April 7 1896"

Attached pictures are of the markings above described.

On a positive note: My friend took home a box of painting supplies that his nephews were going to throw away after the death of their father, my friend's brother in law. In stowing the supplies, he came across the pistol, which the nephews didn't realize was even in there. One of them is interested in firearms and remembers a story of his dad receiving such a pistol from his grandfather at his death, so my friend is going to get it back to the interested nephew as an heirloom addition to his collection. I felt good that it was going to be in the hands of someone who appreciated it and wouldn't sell it for pocket change.

IMG_0380_zpsu1dsloox.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0378_zpstfln1cbq.jpg

James K

Member In Memoriam
The gun is described by collectors as the Auto-Ejecting Second Model, 5th variation. They were made from 1897 to 1904.

Jim

James K

Member In Memoriam
Firing modern cartridges in those old guns is usually OK for a few shots; they won't blow up or turn into a grenade. The problem is that any extensive firing tends to loosen them up, but then extensive firing with any cartridge will usually do that, as they were never made for long days on the range.

And of course, the old springs and other parts tend to break so firing with anything (or even dry firing) can result in a broken gun.

So, IMHO, it is not just a "keepsake"; it can be fired with smokeless powder if you are willing to take the risk. Buy a box of ammo (if you can find it), and shoot, but forget a second box.

Jim