H&R Sportsman Model 999 - Firing Issue

ExMP

Evening All,

I own a Sportsman with the firing pin on the hammer. Recently, it hasn't been reliably firing due to it not fully hitting the round. It looks like the hammer has worn down a bit. (the gun is about 40 yrs old) I was going to replace the hammer, but, Numrich is sold out.

Might you have any suggestions on how to make this better? I was going to look into a thin brass ring that would fit between the edge of the chambers and the inner wall of the cylinder. Something no thicker than a pop can. I thought that even that little spacer would help solve the issue.

I look forward to any information that y'all can offer.

Thanks!

Hawg

The hammer shouldn't be wearing down unless it's getting flattened from dry firing. I don't think a spacer is the way to go here. Jim may know someone with a hammer, He should be along sometime today. You can lay the firing pin on a piece of steel and hammer it, then file it to shape. That will stretch it and make it work but it also makes it thinner so it's a temporary fix at best

32 Magnum

Member In Memoriam
The SPORTSMAN with the firing pin integral to the hammer - the hammers were case hardened. I'm not sure you could do as Hawg suggested???? I've heard several times that people have had GOOD gun smiths TIG weld a dollop on the end of the firing pin wedge and then reshape and re-case harden. Do you have anyone in your area capable of doing this? -if so, give them a call.
One other source that seems to have parts is Jack First www.jackfirstgun.com give them a call.
As to NUMRICH/GPC - they often have parts in limited quantities that are not catalogued or listed in their on-line inventory. It is worth your time to call and ask the tech if they have any hammers for the 1st Models made after 1936-37 and on up thru 1952 - with the firing pin on the hammer.
Be aware that if and when you find one - it most likely will require a bit of hand fitting - all those older pieces were hand fitted from specially hardened internal parts - the SPORTSMAN was the flagship revolver for H&R.
If you give me the serial number and "letter prefix" if it has one, I can give you either the year of manufacture or within a couple year span.
IMG_0188_4.jpg

Webleymkv

It seems to me that the firing pin would be more likely to simply break rather than "wear down". I almost wonder if you've simply got a weak mainspring. If I were in your shoes, I think I'd try replacing the mainspring first and see if that helps matters.

Also, .22 Long Rifle ammo is notoriously unreliable due to both the rimfire priming system and heel-based bullet. If you can turn the cartridge in the chamber so that the firing pin strikes a different area of the rim and it will then fire, then the problem is most likely with that cartridge rather than your gun.

In my experience, Remington Thunderbolts and "Golden Bullets" are the worst about misfires. I've had the best luck in my 999 Sportsman with Federal Champion, Eley, CCI Blazer, and CCI Velocitor as none of these have ever given me a misfire.

ExMP

Yep, we were shooting Remington "Golden Bullets". Had some issues with them feeding into my old Marlin Westpoint .22 semi-auto rifle too.

I'll stop being so cheap and get some better rounds. I guess the "Good Enough for Plinking" thought I had was wrong. I grew up with CCI Mini-Mags, and should have stuck with them.

Thanks Guys, I'll get my head outa my butt.

Webleymkv

I'll stop being so cheap and get some better rounds. I guess the "Good Enough for Plinking" thought I had was wrong. I grew up with CCI Mini-Mags, and should have stuck with them.

As I said before, I've had good luck with both Federal Champion and CCI Blazer both of which are still less expensive than CCI Mini-Mags. Low price doesn't necessarily have to mean low quality:)

ExMP

Well, I found my problem.

There is a little plastic head at the top of the main spring pin to guide the hammer travel. It broke. It's not applying the correct pressure and therefore, not firing consistently.

Numrich has'em in both plastic and steel. My question now, would these be interchangeable? If I could go with metal and make it last "forever" I'd love to.

Thanks again, guys.

Webleymkv

As far as I know, you can substitute the metal head. You can get the entire assembly for not very much money but you may have to re-use the old mainspring guide seat (the small, flat piece of metal that the guide rod runs through).

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=276950C&catid=7937

If you'd prefer to stay with a plastic head, you can get either one entire assembly or a package of six.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=276870C&catid=7937

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=763800&catid=7937