H&R Handy Rifle comversion

Pahoo

I have an H&R single-shot shotgun and the frame is simular to the Handy Rifle. Can one buy a H&R rifle barrel and use it, on a shotgun frame. I am "Long-in-the tooth" and it seems that I should have resoved this question, a long time ago .. :confused:

Be Safe !!!

cosh

Basic understanding is that the NEF/H&R shotgun frame is not strong enough for a rifle barrel. The metal and design of the shotgun frame lacks support for the higher thrust pressure from a rifle cartridge.

Possible to use one of the rimfire rifle barrels though that is a different animal too with the chamber off center. That might also work on a shotgun frame, they might have sold combos that way.

Pahoo

cosh, Thanks ..... IRO

Thank you, for I had a .223 barrel, in mind, ...... :rolleyes:

Thanks and;
Be Safe !!!

Clemson

cosh is correct. Generally speaking, a shotgun barrel on a rifle receiver is OK, but you should not use a rifle barrel on a shotgun receiver.

FrankenMauser

It depends on the age and type of frame, Pahoo.

Some can handle it, some cannot.
And 10 ga is only 10 ga. Nothing else fits the 10 ga frames.

Pahoo

Time to do my "Homework"

It depends on the age and type of frame, Pahoo.
Mine is fairly current and is a 12GA. Would it be a good idea to contact the factory and get their input? At this time, i don't even know if one might be available. ..... :confused:

Thanks and;
Be Safe !!!

FrankenMauser

Unfortunately, that cannot be done.
H&R stopped supporting the single-shots about 6 years ago, and went to only importing Turkish shotguns.
Then they died a horrible death in the Remington bankruptcy. The brand is now owned by the umbrella company for Palmetto State Armory, and cannot and will not repair or service rifles built by Remington or H&R 1871.

If yours left the factory as a shotgun, it is probably an SB1 and not suitable for rifle cartridges.

stinkeypete

Any centerfire cartridge that has the same or less momentum as the shotgun shell should be fine. .223 is not much kick compared to a 12 gauge and doesn’t have the power to bend steel because we call it “rifle.”

If you can find one on EBay, and it fits, I see no problem other than a nice bolt action will shoot rings around it.

jaguarxk120

It all depends on the construction of the frame, the later guns had frames made of steel.
Shotguns had frames made from cast iron.
One other very big thing is the firing pin, shotguns have large diameter pins and rifles have small diameter pins. The 223 cartridge generates higher pressures than the
shotgun shells and will blow the primer back into the firing pin and action.

The cast iron receivers did have rifle barrels fitted, but they have a small diameter firing pin and the calibers did not generate high pressures, like the 30-30.