H&R Buffalo Classic .45-70

Moloch

Hi!

A friend of mine wants to buy himself a NEF or Harrington & Richardson rifle, the buffalo classic in .45-70.
He wants to know how sturdy the design is, he made bad experiences with self-opening break-open rifles in the past.

Hows the quality?
HRCR1871_1.jpg

Thanks!

knight0334

They are sturdy. They can handle level #2 loads(levergun) easily, and some individual H&R's/NEF's can handle level #3 loads(Ruger #1).

I have two BC's, one in the original 45-70 chambering, the other I reamed to 45-120. I stoke my 45-120 loads right on the heals of the 460 Weatherby Mag. ....sturdy enough for ya?

Oh, and Hubel has a 12GA From Hell on the SB2 receiver which the BC's use. 12gaFH = about a 50BMG in power.

Moloch

Oh, and Hubel has a 12GA From Hell on the SB2 receiver which the BC's use. 12gaFH = about a 50BMG in power.

WHAT? They cant even handle 20x110mm power? :D

Just kidding, pretty impressive. I have to get one myself too! They are cheap fort that kind of performance! :eek:

knight0334

You do have to keep in mind that the lug that is welded to the barrel is made of soft steel. It will peen with super high pressures and recoils over time, which will loosen up the gun.

A few of the recently made BC's front dovetail wasn't milled at top dead center, but rather off a few degrees. Other than that, they are good guns for the $ invested.

oldmaster111

Let me add my 2 cents. I love my BC. Very sturdy. It can kick like a gov't mule but when you take it to the range and after the first shot, there will be a crowd behind you wanting to know what rifle you are shooting.

Moloch

You do have to keep in mind that the lug that is welded to the barrel is made of soft steel. It will peen with super high pressures and recoils over time, which will loosen up the gun.

Why would H&R make one of the most important parts of inferior steel? :confused::confused:
That makes no sense!