H&R 999 Sportsman

AraneaeFatalis

I'm looking into getting one and have been trying to find more info on them. Can anyone tell me the difference in models and year ranges? So far I've been able to find out there were three different looking models and were made for quite some time. Seems the ones with the vents on the barrel are on Gunbroker for $300+, but how about the same ones without the vents, anyone know a value?

superpelly

In 1985 I purchased one ( sportsman 999) for 70.00, 6 years later it was stolen from my apartment. That was my 1st pistol and I loved shooting it. Wish i still had it. I'm on the market for one also, but the price will be a big factor!!!

PetahW

The 999 Sportsman has long been H&R's top-of-the-line revolver, sorrily now also long discontinued (25+ years) - after the design was in production for over 85 years.

As long as one hasn't been abused, they will still be accurate & smooth shooters, that one should expect to have to pay $350-$450 for, in tip-top condition. ("Today", not once upon a time, way back when)
NIB specimans would undoubtedly bring more $$$.

In the last year, I sold two, one an earlier, solid-rib specimen, the other a later VR model, for $395 & $375, respectively.

IIRC, they were issued with either a 4" or 6" bbl, and some were made as single-actions only (Sportsman 199), and early Target Models & Specials were available in .22lR or .22WRF.

rrruger

I have a 999 that doesn't sport the vented rib. I am told that the MFG date indicates that it the gun was made in 1936.
At 70 years old it still drives tacks. I would love to find a newer one as I have 'retired' this one to pass down to family.
They are great guns!

sandbag

Nice Revolver

About the only firearm I'd buy right now since I have enough(really,did I say that:)) is a 999-I just missed a chance at one a few years ago and haven't seen another-I think break tops are neat,but I only have one-a Uberti Schofield

MOshooter65202

I've had my H&R Sportsmen 999 with the 6" vented ribbed barrel since I was 11 or 12?
They're really nice revolvers,mine has always been an excellent rabbit/squirrel hunter.

Zhillsauditor

Prices have shot up the last few years for the 999. While they are nice, with prices hitting $350-400 for one, I think there's a lot more value in a used S&W 17 for $50 more.

PetahW

FWIW, ANY used S&W .22 DA revolver in decent condition is a minimum of $650 in my state (about 25 gunshops, big & small, which I check every-other-week).

SaxonPig

$300+? Heavy on the + in my observations. I see 999s going for $500-$600 on a regular basis. I like the 999 and think it's a cool revolver, but the asking prices seem way high for the medium quality of the guns. For that money a deluxe target grade Colt or S&W is easily within reach. I think a decent 999 is a $250 gun but sellers want at least twice that much.

I got this at a show about 2 years ago for $150. Older (1941) and has some finish issues but works great and is a lot of fun.

standard.jpg

Zhillsauditor

FWIW, ANY used S&W .22 DA revolver in decent condition is a minimum of $650 in my state (about 25 gunshops, big & small, which I check every-other-week).

In the past four years I have bought the following S&W 22lr revolvers (OTD prices):

1) 17-9 ($550 display model local shop)
2) 17-8 ($500 used local shop - full lug, alum cylinder)
3) 63-2 ($425 (traded a used M&P 9c for it at a gun show))
4) Pre-model 35 ($625 gunbroker, not in great condition, but very rare gun)
5) 617-? ($550 private sale, included speed-d-loader and loading blocks--didn't like the weight and sold it for same)

None of those felt like a great deal. A friend of mine two years ago found a 63-2 at a gun show and paid $325 for it OTD. I see well used model 17s going for well under $500 often (one was just sold for $485 delivered on the S&W gun boards http://smith-wessonforum.com/guns-sale-trade/315723-fs-s-w-17-2-c-r-spf.html).

I bought an Iver Johnson Supershot 8 at a show last year for $145 and am going to rust blue it when I find the time. I'd like a 999, but unless it is immaculate with box, I don' think I'd pay more than $250 for one on a day that I really, really, really wanted to buy a gun. Other people seem to place more value on them, but that is the glory of the marketplace.

AraneaeFatalis

Despite if S&W may or may not be better, they are more expensive and I more like the H&R 999 Sportsman for the looks. I've always wanted a top break revolver and preferably in .22lr.

PetahW

Zhillsauditor said:
Quote:

In the past four years I have bought the following S&W 22lr revolvers (OTD prices):

1) 17-9 ($550 display model local shop)
2) 17-8 ($500 used local shop - full lug, alum cylinder)
3) 63-2 ($425 (traded a used M&P 9c for it at a gun show))
4) Pre-model 35 ($625 gunbroker, not in great condition, but very rare gun)
5) 617-? ($550 private sale, included speed-d-loader and loading blocks--didn't like the weight and sold it for same)

With all due respect - that was then, this is now, not 4 years ago.
While prices on many guns have gone down in the past 24mos, quality still sells.

And then, there's "condition" also - most of the S&W's on the used gun shelves here are in excellent + condition ( I can't remember the last time I ran across a ratty S&W F/S)

Semantics, though - the OP wants an H&R top-break .22. :)

Zhillsauditor

With all due respect - that was then, this is now, not 4 years ago.
That is a list during the last four years. The latest was the model 17-8 for $500 six months ago.

With all due respect, I think your local gun shops are robbing you blind.

Here's a list of model 17s sold on gunbroker the last six months, all for under $600, and one for under $500.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=338718205
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=335845527
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=332279322
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=331399922
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=336315878

Last edited:

SaxonPig

No percentage in estimating values or discussing what a gun will bring. Prices will vary wildly from one location to another and seemingly one day to another. Beyond stating what I would pay for something I stay out of value discussions as I have found that for some reason many folks get very passionate about making you agree with them on what guns are worth.

oldgunsmith

My first revolver was a 999. Even then I knew it was a cheaply made barely adequate handgun. It didn't take long in the repair business to confirm that. Can't imagine anyone mistaking it for a well made quality piece.

marv

Speaking of "that was then", I 'member when the H&R 999 and the Iver Johnson were $30 new. And the S&W and Colt were a little more than twice as much at $65.

22-rimfire

I really like the top break feature of the H&R 999. A 999 was my very first handgun. Cost ~ $100. Loved it for a while until I realized that it had problems (timing, and cylinder gap) and I retired it for a new Colt Diamondback for about $100 more. 22LR Diamondbacks now run at least $1000 in excellent condition and I suppose the H&R is being dragged along behind the Colt and S&W 22 revolvers. But I feel much like SaxonPig in that it is at best a medium quality 22 revolver and I just don't see much value over $250, $300 tops.

Despite if S&W may or may not be better, they are more expensive and I more like the H&R 999 Sportsman for the looks. I've always wanted a top break revolver and preferably in .22lr.

I wish S&W made a top break 22 revolver. I'd buy that. Like I said, I really liked the top break feature.

If I had to pay $450 for a used 999, I would buy the much better made S&W Model 17. (There is no doubt in my mind that the S&W is higher quality.) I purchased my last one for $550 OTD. But they sell on average for a bit more now; $650-ish for a nice one. I'd stil pay the extra $ for the S&W. I saw a slightly used 4" M63 for $400 and I consider that a better made 22 revolver.

So, I don't see the value people are placing on these used H&R 999 revolvers over what I know to be better made S&W revolvers. However, I would prefer one over a new Taurus M94 if they were priced equally and the H&R was taken care of.

Last edited:

45_auto

They're out there if you look around. I've always kind of wanted one, but not bad enough to really do anything about it. I've passed up a bunch at $200 or so just because they were always beat up.

I ran across this one in a pawn shop for $199 last month. Bought it just because I had never seen one in as good condition. Looks like it just came out of the box, and turns out that it's a factory-chromed (not nickel) "Silver Sportsman" only made in 1964, 1965, and 1966.

128-3-999L_zpsaafd8906.jpg

128-4-999R_zps1754d1e8.jpg

Last edited: