H & R 929 .22 cal revolver - POA/POI problems - suggestions?

bedbugbilly

I decided to do a little plinking this afternoon so took my MK III Target and my H & R 929 "Sidekick" 9 shot 22 revolver - 6 inch barrel. I purchased the 929 a couple of years ago - had belonged to a retired LEO who was deceased and looked like new - probably had very few rounds through it.

So here's my problem . . .

First off, I'm not "sharpshooter" - am 60 with some vision problems but I've shot SA for a number of years. I "quartered" a sheet of copy paper and taped the quarters to a small sheet of paneling. I was going to try and see what groups I could get.

I use a 2 hand hold. At first, I loaded the 929 up with some old 22 shorts I had that I wanted to get rid of. I haven't shot the 929 but one other time. In shooting at 25 yards - the bottom "quarter" of paper was about a foot off the ground. (I have a range in my backyard - I live on a farm). I loaded up 9 rounds and on the third round, noticed a "puff" of dust and realized that my slug was actually hitting the ground in front of the target. I will say that I was using my normal "sight picture" - top of front blade at the top of rear sight slot and placed at the center of the paper. O.K. - I attributed this to the old (30 years old) shorts. I switched to Winchester HP 333 - using my normal sight picture, I was still hitting low - about 4 to 6 inches. East and West, I was centered - my hits ware just low.

I switched to my MK III Target - same ammo - same normal sight picture and had no problems hitting the paper. So . . it wasn't the LR I was using. I had some plain lead round nose Winchester rounds - same results with the MK III and when I used them in the H & R, still had the same problem of hitting low.

I eventually moved up to about 10 yards - same results. They were "right on" in regards to East and West but all hitting south. I changed my sight picture on the 929 - eventually raising the front sight picture up to where the bottom of the front sight was at the top of the rear sight and the top of the front sight on center of paper - FINALLY the hits moved up on the paper.

I was making all shots in SA . . . squeezing a normal trigger pull and wasn't flinching. I don't have a bench or a sandbag to test the pistol in that manner . . . I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong here. I have not problems hitting with my Ruger Bearcat nor my MK III. In looking at the H & R . . . it appears from general appearances that everything is straight, etc. I'm so frustrated at this point with it that I'm about ready to clamp it in the vise and give the barrel a good pull upwards with a big wrench! :D If I can't get this straightened out . . . I'm about ready to trade it off on a Herigate RR for plinking.

O.K. . . . it sounds like I'm putting all the blame on the revolver . . . I'm really not. I'm just curious . . . is it something I'm doing and not realizing it or does the blasted thing just shoot low? Thanks for any suggestions! :)

bedbugbilly

Sorry . . . that's "trade it off on a Heritage RR" . . . not a "Herigate" . . . I hate it when my computer thinks it is smarter than me and changes the spelling! :)

B.N.Real

One of the first revolvers I ever owned was a 929 just like you have.

Absolutely horrendous double action pull.

Single action pull was heavy but passable.

Fixed sights were a real challenge with young eyes.

They are not tack drivers and they are very ammo sensitive to point of aim.

Mine did best with normal lead nose round nose bullets.