H&R 676 .22/.22WMR Convertible?

VictorLouis

I just encountered one of these for $189, NIB with both cylinders. The frame is case-colored, though I don't know if it's faux, or the real-deal. It's DA with a loading gate and ejector rod just like a single-action revolver. Instead of just a milled top-strap, there is a drift-adjustable blade rear sight. The action seems very nice for such a 'cheap' gun, certainly nice enough to actually use it in DA. The location of H&R on the frame is indicated as Gardner, MA.

Is this gun worth a try at that price? :)

Hal

I have the exact same model. Accuracy is only so so with either the .22lr or the .22mag cylinder. The D/A pull on mine is unuseable it's so heavy. If the one you looked at had a decent D/A pull, I'd strongly suspect someone had removed some coils from the mainspring to get it that way. That could lead to some ignition problems. I think $189.00 is on the high side as far as price goes. FWIW, my father in law and my wife's uncle both had H&R's that wore out pretty quick and started to shave lead. So far mine hasn't, but because it's relativly inaccurate and has a nasty D/A trigger, it doesn't get much range time. The S/A trigger is very good however, and it makes a great "pest" gun since it takes CB caps.

VictorLouis

You raise a good point about the trigger. This shop has an in-house smith who may have tinkered with it, new though it may be. Thanks for the heads-up.

P

PreserveFreedom

A 22LR/22WMR convertible is a great combination. The 22LR cylinder can bring you hours of low expense plinking fun, while the 22WMR cylinder can be a nice defense thing. Congrats on your purchase. :)