H&R 622

Teirst

So I have been looking for a 22 revolver for my wife to use to get into shooting for awhile. I am still starting up my gun collection so I am trying to get firearms for as cheaply as possible (while still getting safe decent quality guns.) while looking at 22lr revolvers I found that pretty much everyone said "get a single six." There were the few that would throw out the Heritage Rough Rider however everyone seemed to agree that the older H&R revolvers were pretty much impossible to beat.

So a trip to the LGS to look at an ak74 (next gun on my "get me" list) and I noticed this little thing. Got it for 125 otd, after I oiled it the cylinder spins freely it actually looks like it has been shot very little.

I will be taking it to the range with my wife for the first time tomorrow. Will let you guys know how it shoots, and how much my wife loves it :D.

BTW: does anyone know where I could get some "old west" style grips for it. I really love the look of those.

28l5lye.jpg

103viut.jpg

50qlow.jpg

Pics are pretty low quality from my cell phone but I didn't want to wait for the camera to charge :D

Teirst

So took it out and fired it today. Had several FTF with the winchester 555 value pack (hollow points). Though it seemed to work fine in my mossberg plinkster. Seemed like it was "light strikes" because normally after a 2nd hit they would go boom. Guess I will try some different ammo, federal seems to be pretty popular.

I was interested in trying some 22 shorts, any reason I should?

EDIT: well I found the problem. The plastic head on the mainspring was broken, just sent off for a new one. Guess a total cost of 155 is still acceptable to me.

Last edited:

finfanatic

Nice H and R

Nice.

I have an H and R 922 nine shot .22 that my daughter loves to shoot...or did...once upon a time.... She is fifteen now and doesn't have as much time for shooting as she once did.

Still it is hard to beat a .22 for learning how to shoot.

Venom1956

My best friend has two of these one identical to yours the other is a snubbie. There could be some damage to the hammer possibly? I am not sure if they should be dry fired or not. Also make sure the ejector rod is tightened down we had several problems due to that coming loose after alot of shooting. including FTF, cylinder binding, and the cylinder fell out. :D I remember saying 'Oops' when that happened.

My buddy loves shooting shorts out of it because bulk .22LR doesn't seem to hit point of aim. Great gun for what it is. If you can shoot it DA well you can shoot ANY revolver DA well.

If the price was right I would definitely pick one up. especially a snubbie that thing was a blast.

Teirst

ya I checked the hammer and it looks fine. also checked all the channels and had just cleaned the gun. Pulled the mainspring out the the plastic rider on the top of it was broken. I will just super glue it for now and have already orders the new part from NUMRICH. This is my first time buying from them, so I am a little concerned that I have not gotten a confirmation email yet. Guess I will see how it goes. I am sure the super glue will hold on until the new part comes.

I know what you mean about the "if you can shoot this gun DA you can shoot any gun DA." I would say it would not be so hard if the trigger pull was more consistent, it has a pretty stead pull at around 5ish pounds (maybe less) then like 9+pounds right before it breaks.

jamesjo

teirst,
I have orderd a few mainspring assy's from Numrich.
Always had good luck with them.
I never ordered online though, I always just called them.
I guesss I always feel better ordering something after I talked to a human!
Shouldn't have anything to worry about though, all my experiences with Numrich have been good!

Eagle0711

Used to have a revolver like that and it was a good shooter. I would not dry fire a 22 RF because it can damage the firing pin.

glenncal1

T. do a search and you will find a couple H&R threads that give you the simple instructions on how to change out the mainspring assembly. Have fun with the gun.

bedbugbilly

Teirst - I don't have a H & R model like yours but I do have an H & R 929 Sidekick with a six inch barrel. (see attached photo). I don't know all the differences between your model and mine but mine has a 9 shot fluted cylinder. I bought it used - paid $100.00 for it from a police officer's widow. It is one nice shooting little revolver and accurate. I shoot long rifles in mine. I've shot shorts with no problems but with the price of the 22 cartridges, there isn't a whole lot of difference in price between the shorts and long rifles.

I've looked around for something to replace the original grips to give it a more "unique" look but haven't had any luck yet. I'd like to put a pair of "faux ivory" grips on it - will probably end up making my own. These were inexpensive revolvers when they were marketed but don't underestimate them - they are a lot of fun to target shoot and plink with. Good luck with your collecting! :)

Attachments

• Harrington & Richardson Model 929 22 Revolver Photo 1.JPG
    Harrington & Richardson Model 929 22 Revolver Photo 1.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Harrington & Richardson Model 929 22 Revolver Photo 2.JPG
    Harrington & Richardson Model 929 22 Revolver Photo 2.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 54

Teirst

put a new mainspring assembly in today. still have about 1 ftf in about every 20 rounds, will probably switch to federal bulk to try and sort it out. other than that function is 100%, shoots to poa hammer even rebounds.

edit new mainspring did a lot for the trigger as well

Last edited:

dispatcher

I learned to shoot with one these- Uncle's gun. I have picked up two at gunshows over the last several years. They shoot great but I'm not crazy about the reloads.

jamesjo

drummin man,
Did they have the grips you are looking for?
If not, I thought I would let you know.
I have a couple sets of new, unfinished 999 grips.
If you are interested, let me know.
jim