H&K USP trigger upgrade

Hunter2678

:confused:

This question is aimed towards the H&K USP owners. I'll soon be recieving my first H&K via FFL transfer (USP .45 acp compact) however last time I physically handled the USP's were a few yrs back and I didnt really remember how the trigger felt in both DA/SA. I was on HKpro the other day and saw the match trigger upgrade was about 130$ Has anyone done the upgrade to their USP's and is it really worth the $$ to do so ? :confused:

FWIW, I used to own an M&P 40 so Im familiar with the feel of polymer triggers, can anyone comment on the feel of the H&K trigger vs the M&P?
Better, similar, worse?

Thanks yall.

PSP

I have both the standard DA/SA HK on a USP as well as the match trigger on an Elite. The triggers are quite different. I really don't mind the standard trigger at all, especially on a carry gun. The feel, weight, pull and break are all good enough to shoot well. The match trigger is lighter, breaks very smoothly and suddenly and the reset is very fast. The HK Match trigger is a very good trigger.

If you plan on shooting the gun alot or in competitions, then the match trigger may well be worth the extra cost. If you are going to shoot occationally then maybe not.

I don't have an M&P to compare the two.

Last edited:

rigby06

I agree with what PSP posted, I have a H&K USP compact, and I have no issues with the trigger. It is not as crisp as a 1911, but then again, I just shoot a weapon, and learn to shoot each weapon; and aside from changing the sights to nights sights, or changing out the grips I have not felt the need to have any modifications done to any weapon, I just learn how it shoots, and shoot that weapon accordingly. :)

Last edited:

dgludwig

I've had a USP 40 configured in mode 1 ("traditional" da) since 1994 and though, as rigby06 opined, in the sa stage it's no 1911, I've found no need to "tune" the trigger when using the pistol for self-defense duties. As PSP said,
If you plan on shooting the gun alot or in competitions, then the match trigger may well be worth the extra cost. If you are going to shoot occasionally then maybe not.

pilpens

I have a HK USP, trigger can use some work. The DA and SA pull are not terrible but are not as nice as a Walther P99 DA/SA.

I had an M&P. I like the SA and DA pull on the HK a lot better than the M&P. Also, the M&P had a terrible over-travel. M&P has been sold.

HK DA is heavy but maybe a good thing depending on purpose/use. SA has a small but smooth creep. These are on my HK USP which is typical. You might get one that is better.

I suggest to wait until you have shot a few hundred rounds or even a thousand rounds on the HK, then decide on a trigger job/upgrade.

schmeky

Hunter2678,

The first thing I "had" to do to my HK USP 45 was trigger work. SA was pretty creepy and heavy. The DA in HK's will never be light, but can be improved.

You do not need to buy the Match Trigger Kit if you are mechanically handy. I reduced the SA sear height in my particular USP .012" and the difference is amazing. Then installed a Wolf reduced power hammer spring, 99% certain it was a 10 #'er to replace the stock 14 #'er. Never gonna' be like a 1911, but it can be excellent nontheless.

How sweet it is now. The only thing I would say is, disassembly is not for the faint of heart. There is website that shows how to detial strip.

Hunter2678

Thanks for the help fellas. That pretty much answers my only concern w these USP's. Kinda pumped to finally get a 45 in my collection as well as an H&K. I wasn't elated with my old M&P's trigger eiher but at the same time that's not why I bought it either. I got used to the trigger after a few boxes and it became a moot point after that. Only reason I was asking is bc Ive read some horror stories about some of these usp triggers and I was curious to see if they were as bad or worse than what I was used to.

Its a Var 1. & Ill get some rounds through her then practice a little more with some snap caps and then reassess whether or not I think I need a trigger job. My buddy is a gunsmith so I'm sure we could polish some things up if need be. Its not gonna be a race or target gun just a combat pistol/SDP The looks of the actual factory trigger looks like it would flex a bit since its so skinny,... does it?

btw...good tips schmeky...ill keep those in mind

Last edited:

warpig602

My works blocks most links as well. His name is Bill Springfield. He seems to be the HK shooters choice for trigger work. He has my P2000SK as we speak, i'll let you know how it is when I get it back, complete time is only about a week, not too bad. Much better than my Grayguns Sig that took months.

warpig602

**H&K USP full sized or compact all calibers, reduce single action and double action pull weight 1 to 2lbs, also SA actual sear creep reduced up to 85% after slack take up. $59. Only the lower frame less the magazine is needed.

H&K P2000, P30 and HK-45, compact or full sized same as above. $59. Mark 23 .45acp same as above. $69.

**USP match trigger, I can supply and install a HK match trigger with overtravel screw for $35. This only works on full sized USP's, it will work on any variation including LEMs. May work on full sized HK-45's, though I had the chance to try it out yet.

**P2000, P30, trigger overtravel set screw, I can install a HK match USP set screw in your trigger. This will eliminate overtravel and help reduce reset. add $19. USP compacts don it like set screw.

**USP SA/DA (V1) converted to LEM competition style, this is the light LEM version. Major contact surfaces are polished for a nice smooth pull. Trigger pull for the "cocked" postion is in the low 4lbs area. Price runs $149. Subject to LEM kit availability. P-30 and P-2000 conversions are not available.

**H&K USP, HK-45, P-2000, P-30 Full Size and compacts accuracy upgrade. Maximize barrel lockup into the slide; shrink groups up to 25%. Modification will also allow the back of slide to sit flush with the frame. Most USP slides sit 1/32" or so too far forward, giving it that "unsightly" appearance. The pistol less magazine is needed. $39 with trigger work, $49 without.

P7 Series - Reduce creep up to 80% after trigger slack takeup, pull weight reduced up to 20%. Only the slide is needed price runs $39.

Priority Mail return postage is included in all prices!
Any questions, please EMAIL me.

18DAI

I own two HK USP 45's, both with standard triggers.

I shot the M&P 40 in an agency T&E.

The stock USP trigger is head and shoulders above the M&P.

The M&P's trigger is like dragging a duffle bag down a railroad bed, with an indistinct reset. It sucks. Think Sigma 2.0

The USP has a smooth DA pull with some stacking. The USP's SA pull is as good as my Colt 1911.

Good luck with your decision! Regards 18DAI.

Hunter2678

You're right 18, that M&P trigger is like dragging a duffle bag over rail road ties compared to this USP compact... my only gripe with this gun is that its grip size may be a tad too big for my preferences, although I love the features of it as a combat type of pistol. Trigger is no doubtedly stiff on DAO but its consistent and I can more than live with the SA pull on it.