H&K usp opinions

echo3mike

USP9...made in 94...bought used last Jun...3K+ rounds through since then.

Recoil is entirely mangable, with doubletaps consistantly <2" @ 10 yds. Handles all kinds of rounds w/o problems. NO problems with care and feeding of the beast. Can and does perform in outstanding fashion with minimum of TLC, in most environments.

GET ONE!!

S.

Cawdor

I have a USP9: Reliable, accurate, shoots to point of aim. It impresses me every time I shoot it. The DA trigger could be better.

Halo

I concur with the above. I have the USP9, and I shoot better with it than any of my other pistols. My only complaint is that the checkering on the grip can sometimes feel a bit "harsh", but I find that to be a very minor drawback.

krept

I have a USP full .45 and think it's all that. It takes a beating, swallows everything like a champ and hits where I point it. Some feel that the trigger pull is horrendous and while I might add the DA pull is a bit heavy, the SA pull is just fine for me without smithing or the Match Trigger upgrade. Cocked and locked like a 1911 is a good way to get around the "two different trigger pulls" fuss. Locked in DA (actually semi-DA when decocked) is good for those that feel unsafe with a round in the pipe.

If you are in the market for an HK .45, chek out the Tactical as well. Some really like the Match trigger and the longer o-ringed bbl is very accurate and can accept flash and sound suppressors. But you really can't go wrong with the plain USPs - IMO they are a good line of pistols. Awesome pieces of engineering.

lochaber

Personaly I dont like it because I really dont like polymer guns. I am not even that worried about the plastic itself, as I belive it can be as durable as steel, but I find polymer guns to have a lot more flip and I disklike that. Besides that it is an excelent firearm. I quite apreciate the safety/decocker combo and I wish that my CZ would have something similar. If you like polymer guns that by all means it is a incredible firearm. I dont know if you have fired polymer guns before so I would recommend trying it first.

Just my two dollar procentages.

Lochaber

Deadman

I can't remember which page had the information, but anyway
I read about the USP going through various torture tests.
Such as being frozen at some ridiculous below 0 temperature and still firing. Being heated and frozen frequently and still firing. Being dropped from various heights numerous times and never misfiring. Going through something like 10000 or 20000 bullets and never jamming.

Suffice to say that the pistol I was reading about is one tough son of a bitch. :)

magnum_force

Trigger pull is a major draw back. Compare the pull to a glocks. The Glocks are nice and light. Match upgrade trigger is $100 and just 1 lb. lighter in DA, but improved in SA. Not a real good solution. I am waiting for HK to come out with the DAO LEM trigger that they only sell to LE right now. Don't know if they will sell it to civilians in the future. HK has been making this gun since 94. I think they should have improved the trigger or offer a good alternative trigger in the time since its intro.

Handle sucks too. You can buy Hogue grips but they shift down. Agrip is a better solution but they look terrible on the gun.

They are expensive guns.

A good gun but not a great gun.

CMOS

Get one.

I've owned a USPc 9mm for about 4 years now and it's still my favorite pictol (I also own the USP Full Size and 2 Sigs).

I have about 4000 rounds through the USPc without a single failure of any kind. It will eat anything I put in the magazine. I also like the fact that the pistol is factory rated for a steady diet of +P+ ammuniton, which is what I use for my defensive carry ammo. The DA trigger is a bit long but like any other thing of that sort, you get used to it. The SA pull is fairly good. You have the option of carrying in DA or SA mode (in variant 1 models).

Most of all, the USPc fits my hand like a glove and I KNOW it will shoot every time I pull the trigger.

After 4 years, I would strongly recommend the USPc!

CMOS

.357SIG

I only have USPs in .40 and .45 right now. I think I might have to pick up a 9mm to complete the set. DA pull is a little rough, but I carry mine cocked and locked. Recoil seems to be the same as most other .45s I've used. Field stripping can be a pain in the ass at first, but it gets easier as you go along (and the gun loosens up). It is very hard to push out the roll pins for a detail strip, even with a punch and a small hammer.

With all that said, I'd say to go ahead and buy one (or two, or three:)).

JJCook

I live and die by HK, and I love my USP 40c. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I have never fired a pistol that's more solid and durable. I have never had any misfires, or feeding problems, and it'll take any wadcutters through FMJ.
True HK fan!!

Semper Fi-
JJC

snoman45

I have been shooting and carry a full size usp .45 for about 3.5 years now and it is the best "workin" handgun I have ever used, the triggergaurd is big enough for two gloved fingers, double stack mag seats like there is a 2 foot wide mag well, recoil feels like a 9mm, they took 30,000 rounds of +p ammo with no breakage, and can fire the .45 super with no changes to the gun, other than swap out the recoil spring every 3000 rounds, a squib test only made it group a little tighter. The only change I made to mine was the addition of Ashley outdoors Big dot tritium fromt site and pro express tritium rear, get one, you won't be sorry, and as for price, it is pretty cheap life insurance...

Joe Klug

I see several have already replied to this and I can't add much to what has been said. I got a USP 45 (full size) early in 2000 just because I always wanted an HK pistol. (I would really like a P7M13 but that is another story. :)) I have been very impressed with it. It has lived up to the reputation of the HK name in every way. The sights are very nice, it is quite accurate and extremely reliable. The double action trigger pull is a bit stiff but single action pull is great. (I have found that the single action pull varies from one pistol to the next. Get several USPs on the counter at the dealer and try them all to find the best one.) The recoil reduction system HK uses seems to work pretty good. Even my wife can shoot the USP 45 without problems and she is used to a 9mm. I don't use my USP for CCW due to size but as a service sidearm I would highly recommend it.

Joe

Chessman

Counterpoint:

I had a USP 45 full size. It regularly got failures to go fully into battery (i.e. slide didn't return fully after firing a shot). A good rap on the mag bottom would put it into battery. It did this with various kinds of ammo -- reloads and factory ammo. I posted my problem on the HK forum and found that several other USP owners experienced similar problems. Not what I would expect from a gun that is supposed to be 100% reliable.

It also shot low, about 1-2 inches at 10 yards.

I tried to solve the failures to go into battery by buying a new recoil spring assembly. I balked when I saw the price tag of $85. By comparison, a recoil spring for a Glock is under $10. HK mags are also $50, Glock mags are $20.

I sold the HK. To each his own, but I think Glocks beat HK hands down.

Erik

I'd prefer a metal trigger a la the Kahr polymer line.

The trigger pull could stand to be cleaned up some, regardless of what the trigger may or may not be made from.

They are too bulky/large.

High capacity magazines are expensive.

They are accurate and reliable.

JiminCA

I have a USP in .40. I bought it because it pointed well, HK has a great reputation, and I wanted something I could shoot with gloves on.

It is reliable, accurate and I agree that the trigger is poor - especially the looooong reset. Don't like the bulk of the gun, or the cost of mags/accessories. Price a light - it's about a hundred more than the equivalent light for Glocks, and they're made by the same people.

I really tried to like this gun. I put maybe a thousand rounds through it and got to the point where I could shoot it quickly. However, it wasn't as easy as my favorite guns (1911, Glock, CZ, BHP).

Given the above, it sits in my safe and collects dust. I will sell it. I have other guns that are reliable, accurate and have good triggers. I will use the funds to buy another gun with a good trigger. You CAN have it all. Maybe the gun will work for you, but it didn't for me.

Best summary was above - "good gun but not a great gun".

DAKODAKID

Hk USP pistols are not for everyone, alot of
people don't like the chunky feel and the ok
trigger that takes some getting used to.
A match trigger does help in the SA mode but
the DA is still long and heavy and requires alot
of practice to master.

I personally think the USP pistols are among the
best over-engineered guns out there.

The torture tests that the USP's were put through
would kill any other gun, and yes I am talking
about the "sacred glocks" too.
I am ready for the flames from the glock boys and
girls but I have never seen any data on "torture
testing" on the glocks..
Seen alot of pictures of KB's on glock though.

Bullzeye

Hello,

I have a HK Tactical .45 ACP and it is my favorite .45. The recoil spring system really works to manage the recoil of the round. Its very accurate, extremely reliable (never even a burp from anything that I have fed it), and its easy to maintain and clean. It also fits my hands well but you do need big hands for the beefy frame. I have a Springfield loaded 1911 and a Sig p220. These pistols sit on the shelf and collect dust while the Tactical is regularly out on the range.

Cheers,
Paul

Shake

I have never paid more than $28 for an H&K mag. There are people out there who will gouge you for anything if you are willing to pay the price.

I have seen an H&K failure to feed ONCE with a PMC cartridge that wouldn't chamber in two Glocks, two Browning Hi Powers, and another H&K. Other than that I have never seen one fail to perform as advertised.

Shake